Contents

Page119

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page119
Description PAPERS THAT CAME - AND MANY THAT WENT became the owner. For a brief period of time in 1974, Denny Osborn and Walt Schaffer were lessee co-publishers, but the paper then reverted to Stahle. On March 28, 1980 the News was sold to J. M. and Bette J. Cornwell, publishers of the Murray-based Green Sheet group. They renamed it the West Valley View, tailored to newly-incorporated West Valley City. It retained that name until the Green Sheet was bought by Diversified Suburban Newspapers in 1984. LAYTON Layton's newspaper history dates to October 26, 1925 when Hector T. Evans founded the Weekly News-Express. In addition to Layton, Evans ambitiously indicated his paper's domain was Kaysville, Clearfield, Syracuse and Davis County. That placed it in competition with the Weekly Reflex of Kaysville and the Davis County Clipper of Bountiful. The latter paper's publisher, John Stahle, Jr., bought the News-Express on November 16, 1933. He was its publisher for 17 years and changed its name to The Layton Journal. On February 24, 1950 it was sold to Albert Epperson, manager and a major stockholder of Inland Printing in Kaysville and publisher of the Weekly Reflex. On November 1, 1950, Inland was sold to Lloyd Anderson, a former Ogden Standard-Examiner advertising staff member. Both the Layton Journal and the Weekly Reflex continued to be published by Inland. On February 18, 1958, the Layton Journal was renamed the Davis News-Journal. Anderson sold the paper on January 7, 1965 to John Stahle, Jr., returning him to the publisher's chair of a Layton newspaper after an absence of nearly 15 years. The Davis News-Journal was later absorbed into the group operated in tandem with the Weekly Reflex. MIDVALE Midvale's somewhat obscured newspaper history, difficult to trace because early files are largely non-existent, began in 119
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 130-UPA_Page119.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416130
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416130