Contents

Page114

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page114
Description UTAH PRESS ASSOCIATION Ashby briefly revived the Duchesne masthead, then reconsidered and stopped the venture permanently. GARLAND Two papers successively served Garland in northern Box Elder County for over 70 years before the Times was acquired by Tremonton's Leader and the masthead was erased. Perhaps "nearly erased" would be more accurate, for the resultant publication was known for many years as the Leader-Garland Times. J. Arthur Wixom, whose nickname was "Cussin" in reaction to his sometimes fiery behavior, was the principal member of a group which launched the community's first paper, the Garland Globe, on February 10, 1906. It remained in publication until 1925 with Wixom the publisher. A native of Brigham City, he was a brother of Hall of Fame newsman Solomon Wixom, co-publisher of the Box Elder News-Journal. Arthur had been a mechanical staff member of the Brigham Bugler, the Box Elder Herald and the Ogden Standard-Examiner and a minority stockholder in the Box Elder News. The Globe and its equipment were sold in 1926 to William E. Little of the Bear River Valley Leader in Tremonton. Two years later, Roy Wallin, B. Dale Gibson and Vernald W. Johns were partners in establishing a new paper, the Garland Times. Its publisher with the greatest longevity proved to be Vernald Johns, who became its owner in 1936 and sold it in September, 1957 to A. N. (Andy) Rytting of Tremonton. Subsequently Garland, along with Tremonton, has been served by the Leader, the paper which became identified as the Leader-Garland Times. GRANTSVILLE Grantsville, which had first been known as "Twenty Wells" and then as "Willow Creek," experienced its first newspaper on January 3, 1912 with the start of a short-lived publication called the Reflex. Its trio of co-publishers, J. W. 114
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 125-UPA_Page114.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416125
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416125