Contents

Page148

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page148
Description UTAH PRESS ASSOCIATION ment. Parkinson became advertising director in 1977, assistant publisher in 1984, and publisher in 1986. Parkinson was raised in St. George and graduated in marketing and journalism from the University of Utah. Under his watch, The Herald has made product and service improvement an ongoing goal. One of the best sources for the history of The Daily Herald-is Jerry Myrup, who completed his fifty-sixth year with the paper in 1995. He started as a paperboy in 1939 and then took a job as a part-time pressroom fly-boy in September, 1943. That was when The Herald was located at 50 South 100 West in Provo. He recalls a 1942 extra that was sold to Christmas parade watchers announcing the construction of the Geneva Steel plant in the valley. After a five-year apprenticeship, Myrup became a full-time printer in 1949. He has been in the composing/production room ever since and vividly remembers the front page layouts for the bombing of Pearl Harbor, the end of World War II, the beginning of the Korean War, the subsequent armistice, the death of President Franklin D. Roosevelt, and the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. He also recalls the space race with the Soviet Union and the 1969 landing of U.S. astronauts on the moon. Myrup has witnessed the full evolution of the printing industry. When he started in 1943, The Herald had hot lead Linotype machines and an eight-page flatbed press. That same year, the paper purchased a 12-page rotary tube press from a Japanese-language newspaper in San Francisco when the editors were sent to internment camps by the U.S. Government. In 1947, a 16-page rotary press was installed, then later upgraded to 24 pages. The Herald moved to new quarters at 400 North and 200 West in the early 1960s, but the paper outgrew that facility. In 1969 a new building was constructed at 1555 N. Freedom Blvd. (200 West) containing a 48-page offset press and photo-typeset- 148
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 157-UPA_Page148.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416159
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416159