Contents

Page517

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page517
Description THE UTAH NEWSPAPER HALL OF FAME driven drum cylinder press, two job presses, a paper cutter, an extensive array of hand type and the many other pieces of equipment necessary to produce a newspaper. Editorial space was in the front. It was housed in a frame building located south of the Webb home at 100 East 400 North. Gaisford remained in this position for ten years, during which time Ole B. Peterson also became an employee as business increased. In June, 1912, James M. Kirkham, a Lehi businessman, entered the publishing field by purchasing the Banner. He gradually created a modern printing plant in Lehi to turn out the Utah Farmer, which had been launched in conjunction with the local newspaper. A model 5 Linotype, with four magazines producing 6, 8, 10 and 12 point type, a two-revolution book press, modern hand-type faces in cabinets, stones, a folding machine and additional job presses were assembled in a large brick building at 100 East and 600 North. Kirkham's plant was second to none south of Salt Lake City and a lengthy period of improved printing operations and publication development was underway. The Linotype was one of the first placed in a less-than-daily or semi-weekly plant in the state. In 1914, Lorenzo Gaisford entered the newspaper field in American Fork. He and S. W. Ross purchased the 12-year old Citizen. Ross later sold his interest to Lorenzo in 1919. On August 15, 1914 the Lehi Sun was created by Arthur and his fellow-worker, Ole Peterson. In 1917 it took over the Banner. The Lehi plant continued to progress under Arthur's direction after Peterson's interests were acquired. His four sons joined the organization in turn. A. Frank, Victor, E. R. (Ted) and Earl all learned one phase or another of the business and later became partners with their father. This operation thrived until June 7, 1922, when the Deseret News Publishing Company of Salt Lake City purchased the Utah Farmer from James M. Kirkham and moved its production to their plant in the capital city. Kirkham remained as General Manager. The sale left the Arthur F. Gaisford family with an expanded plant and only the weekly publication and commercial printing to produce. 517
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 523-UPA_Page517.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416528
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416528