Contents

Page99

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format application/pdf
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page99
Description "YOUNG" PAPERS THAT ACTUALLY ARE OLD the Orem-Geneva Times came to life in early July, 1933 with Arthur V. Watkins the founding publisher. He would later gain greater fame as a United States Senator from Utah. On June 12, 1947, M. Neff Smart acquired the Times, directing it for a half-dozen years before selling to Harold B. (Jack) Sumner, formerly on the staff of the Provo Daily Herald, on July 2, 1953. Smart resumed post-graduate studies, acquired a Doctorate and for many years was a respected member of the University of Utah's journalism faculty. For his educational efforts in community journalism, he was honored with Utah Press Association's John E. Jones Award in 1980. Sumner, who became president of UPA in 1963, turned the paper over to his son, Brent, upon retirement and passed away March 15, 1995. PANGUITCH Newspaper history in Panguitch began on an uncertain date in 1878 or 1879 when John M. Dunning launched The Cactus. Though no copies exist, Alter surmised "it may have been a manuscript, pen-and-ink newspaper." Its name was later changed, said Panguitch historian Lucy Hatch, to the Garfield County News. Some citizens remembered it, however, as The Recorder and others as The Register. Whatever the banner read, it perished about 1884. One of Utah's rare lady publishers introduced the Panguitch Progress in 1898, journalist and historian S. A. Kenner records in his book, Utah As It Is. She was Elizabeth S. Worthen, who is remembered as a competent typesetter and, by her stepdaughter, as "A beautiful writer (who) never misspelled a word." Her successors, in 1908, were Gladys and Winnie DeLong, who gave way after a year to Fred E. El-dredge. He published the Progress until January 1, 1922 when he moved the equipment to Marysvale and began the Piute Progress. It failed after two years. The present-day Garfield County News came on the scene on April 16, 1920 under the guidance of Will J. Peters, whose story might've provided a Hollywood plot. Member of various 99
Format application/pdf
Identifier 110-UPA_Page99.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416110
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416110