Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format application/pdf
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL

Page Metadata

Title Page143
Description UTAH'S SIX SURVIVING DAILIES statehood by 23 years. Actually The Daily Herald is a derivative of several newspapers, the earliest being The Provo Daily Times founded August 1, 1873. The perilous nature of the business is indicated by the number of name changes the paper went through over the years, usually accompanied by a change in management. The Times became the Utah County Advertiser, the Utah County Enquirer, the Territorial Enquirer, and the Utah Enquirer before emerging November 30, 1889 as the Daily Enquirer with John C. Graham as publisher. Graham dominated nearly three decades of newspapering in Utah County and is noted for bringing the first Linotype to Provo just after the turn of the century. He died in 1906, and a year later the struggling Enquirer was sold to Heber and Nephi Hicks, two brothers who changed the name to The Post and began publishing semi-weekly. The newspapers from The Times to The Post were among some 15 published in Provo during the latter quarter of the 19th century. One of the others was the Utah County Democrat, founded in 1898. A decade later, Editor David Larson assured readers that "The Democrat is Democratic all the way." But shortly after Republicans swept elections statewide, he renamed it The Provo Herald and announced January 2, 1909, that the paper would be "politically independent." The Post and the Herald were fierce rivals for 17 years, arguing publicly about everything from politics to quality of photographs in each paper. Edward C. Rodgers became editor of the Herald in April, 1921 and, feeling that Provo could not sustain two newspapers, proposed that the Hicks brothers join him to form one publication. When his proposal was spurned, he set out to eliminate the competition. In April, 1922, Rodgers changed his triweekly paper to The Daily Herald, including The Sunday Herald, and added a wire service. He also mounted an aggressive circulation campaign that soon captured 84 percent of the readership market -- more than double that of the Post. 143
Format application/pdf
Identifier 152-UPA_Page143.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416154
Reference URL