Contents

Page94

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page94
Description UTAH PRESS ASSOCIATION On February 1, 1995, the paper was sold to Bill Boyle, a former educator and lifelong Monticello resident. MORGAN The Mirror, Morgan's first paper, was started in 1896, historian J. Cecil Alter surmises, though there are no files. He based his assumption on a quotation in the Nephi Republic of August 29, 1896 calling attention to the start of the Morgan paper. The Republic article lauded the founder, J. W. Hyde of Logan. Hyde didn't remain long, however, for Matt Edsal was shown as the publisher in Ayer's Newspaper Annual for 1898. Orson W. Covington followed him in 1900. Part of the succession, for a brief time in 1908, was N. J. Peterson. Alter's research, however, indicates H. B. Fry succeeded Covington after he evidently reclaimed the paper from Peterson. Fry was followed by Charles H. Ruble, who changed the paper's name to the Morgan County Star in 1912 and survived until 1919 before closing the doors. Ruble was no quitter, though, for on October 7, 1920 he unveiled the Morgan Independent, another publication for which no files exist. However the date of its demise was recorded as October 30, 1924, after a competing publication had been introduced by Mr. and Mrs. Clement B. Wallace, publishers of the Coalville Times. They began today's Morgan County News, which was entered as second class postal matter October 26, 1923. It was printed in Coalville with Mrs. Edna Wallace the non-resident editor. On December 1, 1925, S. D. Perry acquired the paper, which continued to be produced in the Coalville plant both before and after he and his son, C. K. Perry, had also become publishers of the Summit County paper. Albert and Virginia Epperson of Kaysville purchased the News from S. D. Perry in 1946. Mr. Epperson was the victim of a fatal heart attack on August 14, 1955 and a few months later his widow found new owners for the two papers. The buyers, on January 1, 1956, were Howard C. (Mac) and Louise 94
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 105-UPA_Page94.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416105
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416105