Contents

Page38

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page38
Description UTAH PRESS ASSOCIATION Price Sun-Advocate By a rather torturous root structure, it is a lineal descendant of the community's first publication, the Eastern Utah Telegraph. S. A. King, an attorney, was the founding publisher of that paper on January 15, 1891 and during its first year of existence sold a half interest to J. H. Sarvis and S. I. Paradice, both Colorado newsmen. They were in charge until February 7, 1895, when S. H. Brownlee and Dexter Smith took over the operation and changed the paper's name to the Eastern Utah Advocate. Shortly thereafter, on July 27, 1895, another paper, the Castle Valley News, emerged in Price. John V. Long was its editor and publisher until its demise in 1898. During that interval, J. D. Smith became the lessee publisher of the Advocate on January 28, 1897 and was succeeded on June 16, 1898 by Clarence Marsh. On August 18, 1898, a date nearly synonymous with the expiration of the Long-published paper, former Salt Lake Tribune and Salt Lake Herald staff member Robert W. Crockett and his brother, John, became publishers of the Advocate. Although controversial, they gave the paper stability and remained on the Price journalistic scene for many years. However they didn't have the market to themselves for an entire decade, for on April 26, 1907 the Carbon County News came on the scene. Its originating publisher was J. H. Nelson, but it would have a succession of owners. Included were the team of B. R. McDonald and J. B. Middleton beginning on May 15, 1908 and Hector T. Evans from September 4, 1908. On January 1, 1909, E. A. Phillips and C. H. Keith, both former Salt Lake City daily newsmen, took charge, followed on April 15,1909 by J. David Larson and Sid J. Whitehead. H. C. Smith and E. J. Dunn appeared on the masthead beginning July 9, 1909 and remained until August 4, 1911 when W. C. Benfer took control. His News and the Crocketts' Advocate competed bitterly 38
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 050-UPA_Page38.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416049
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416049