Contents

Page118

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page118
Description UTAH PRESS ASSOCIATION through the Depression years with Mrs. J. A. Wahlen (1932), E. J. Barrett (1933) and Edward S. Price (1934) as publishers. Later in 1934 Roy Wahlen became the proprietor and in the latter half of the 1940s sold it to Gilbert McDowell of the North Cache News in Smithfield. The News had started April 5, 1935 with Erwin R. Dowdel at the helm and in 1945 had become the property of McDowell. Early in 1948 both the Cache weeklies ceased publication. A final attempt to produce a Hyrum newspaper was launched February 6, 1953 by Fern Wahlen Darnley, a daughter of J. A. Wahlen. Her paper, the Hyrum News, stayed alive only a matter of months, halting on July 17, 1953. KAMAS The only paper to be published in Kamas, and consequently a competitor to the Summit County Bee in Coalville for Summit County readership, survived for eight years before and after World War I. Publisher of the Kamas Courant was R. B. Rand, who established it in 1912. He discontinued publication in 1920. Though scattered copies may be in the hands of individuals, no complete files of the publication have been found. KEARNS The Valley View News, created in 1955 by Harry Miller and produced in his Lorraine Press plant in downtown Salt Lake City, was projected to serve unincorporated Kearns and the growing once-agricultural area surrounding it. The largely residential community was the creation of Sam Hoffman, a Southwest developer. The original homes were on the grounds of a World War II military base, Camp Kearns. Miller was the paper's publisher until August 25, 1960 when he sold to Joseph L. Sloan and Gale Bruse. It was soon Sloan's property alone and he continued to publish it until February 15, 1973 when Howard Stahle of the Magna Times 118
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 129-UPA_Page118.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416129
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416129