Contents

Page651

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format application/pdf
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page651
Description THE UTAH NEWSPAPER HALL OF FAME " Jacob Peterson as a youthful apprentice. Often on such newspapers, the editor was master of many trades. His versatility made possible quick changes from reporter to advertising salesman; editorial writer to typesetter; proofreader to pressman. He then became circulation manager, a job printer, commercial artist and, usually, the volunteer leader of varied community enterprises. Evidence of the Bugler's quality was the Millard County Blade's 1893 assertion: "The Bugler isn't surpassed in contents or makeup by any country weekly published in the Territory." The Provo Dispatch echoed, "The Bugler seems indeed a sleek, well-fed paper. It is in every way worthy of the splendid patronage it is receiving." Historian J. Cecil Alter observed, however, that "Mansfield Snow and the Bugler were too good to remain there." On April 8, 1899, the paper closed its doors and moved to Ogden, known widely as "the graveyard of Western journalism." Wixom, too, went to Ogden where he worked for the Weber County Times, edited by Snow. After a short time, though, he quit his job and came back to Brigham City to stay, opening a general store on the corner of Fifth South and Main Street. He gave that up within a year and went back to newspa-pering with the Box Elder County News, which had begun in April, 1894 with J. R. Hunter as editor and publisher and his wife, Edith, the associate editor. In 1898, the Hunters were succeeded by Charles Pasco and Hyrum Standing, who dropped "County" from the name. In 1900, Wixom bought Pasco's interest and in 1904, Standing sold his share of the paper to S. Norman Lee. On April 15, 1909, Victor E. Madsen became editor of the News with Wixom as his assistant. And on June 651
Format application/pdf
Identifier 657-UPA_Page651.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416662
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416662