Contents

Page563

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page563
Description THE UTAH NEWSPAPER HALL OF FAME Banner, which was Lehi's first paper and, for nearly a quarter of a century, its only one. Terming itself an advocate of "freedom of religion, liberal and independent politics and home industry," the Banner had begun publication May 29, 1891 as a venture capitalized by a group of community businessmen. It soon became financially profitable, which stockholders attributed to "the untiring efforts" of father and son George and Walter Webb, the Publisher and Editor respectively. The paper withstood an unsuccessful 1897 challenge from the Lehi Rustler, launched by J. T. Camp, a competent, but well-travelled Utah newsman also associated with other failed publications in several Utah communities, among them Kanab, Marysvale, Elsinore and Park City. In June, 1912 James M. Kirkham, an entrepreneurial Lehi businessman later commemorated in the Utah Newspaper Hall of Fame, purchased the Banner. He added publications in American Fork and Pleasant Grove and then, in 1913, sold his Lehi paper to Will Ross, the community's onetime Postmaster. Scarcely a year later, on August 5, 1914, A. Frank Gaisford, Sr. unveiled the Lehi Sun and on May 30, 1917, this newcomer took control of the marketplace by acquiring the Banner. Groundwork was laid on October 16, 1930 for the next competitive chapter when Gaisford moved his plant from Lehi to American Fork. He did so even though aware the decision might not be well-accepted since fierce competition existed between the two communities. Almost immediately Lehi civic leaders agitated for a locally-produced paper and finally, on August 25, 1932, the Free Press came into existence. Its publisher was George P. Price, a longtime employee of the Sun. Emphasizing the reason for another local paper was a statement in the first edition: "The people of Lehi will again have a weekly newspaper printed in Lehi by Lehi citizens." The acrimonious rivalry begun at that time was still in existence when Russ Innes arrived on the scene. Price had sold the Free Press to William Adamson, James P. (Pat) Heal and John Leyland in 1945 and on April 4, 1946, Heal purchased the interests of his partners. He then sought a 563
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 569-UPA_Page563.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416574
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416574