Contents

Page282

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page282
Description UTAH PRESS ASSOCIATION north and paralleled Utah Lake on the south. Logan was reached by rail in 1871 when the Utah Northern was built around the toe of the Wellsville Mountains over what is known as Beaver Dam Summit. In 1901 a spur from Logan to Hyrum was added. The basic narrow gauge line was replaced by standard gauge when the Oregon Short Line & Utah Northern Railway was built. Logan was but a stopping point on the line, since it continued northward through Preston, Idaho and on to Montana. Bingham was reached by rail in November, 1873 -- the Bingham Canyon & Camp Floyd RR. It began at Midvale and ended at Bingham; never went nearer its proposed western terminus, the military base. Alta had a rail connection by September, 1875 -- the Wasatch & Jordan Valley, which ran from Sandy, where it connected with the Utah Southern. Much granite for construction of the Latter-day Saints Temple in Salt Lake City was carried by this line. In 1878 tracks of the Utah Southern Railroad reached Nephi and two years later were at Milford. In December, 1880 both the Union Pacific and the Utah Eastern reached Park City from Coalville and three years later the larger railroad, the UP, acquired control of its smaller rival and closed it down. Another competitor appeared, however, in 1890 when the Salt Lake & Eastern was built from Sugar House, up Parley's Canyon and into Park City from the west. It would be in use until 1946 when, again, the Union Pacific bought the competing line and soon almost all traces of its existence were obliterated. In more recent times, the UP's line into Park City was abandoned and its rails taken up. In June, 1882, the Denver & Rio Grande Railway reached Salt Lake City. Spurs and interconnecting lines branched off rapidly, inspired not only by needs of travellers but also the demand for freight transportation brought about by both agriculture and mining. In 1914, the Ogden, Logan & Idaho Railway was launched. This was a traction line and included Ogden's 282
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 291-UPA_Page282.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416293
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416293