Contents

Page72

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page72
Description UTAH PRESS ASSOCIATION PARK CITY Several publishing attempts which pre-dated the organization of Utah Press Association took place in Park City. None succeeded. The Park City Call, under E. H. Buchanan, began January 13, 1887 and halted operations August 4,1888. The Park City Miner, co-published by C. S. Austin and George R. Hancock, launched September 23, 1890, drew praise from contemporaries elsewhere in the state, but closed its doors in August, 1892. An effort was made to revive it in 1903 by Norman B. Dresser, a persistent early-day Utah journalist, but it failed. Dresser had edited the Mercur Miner for entrepaneur James B. Jakeman and had co-published the Intermountain Advocate in Salt Lake City before the Park City venture. He would finally succeed in Delta, where he opened the Millard County Chronicle in 1910. Three years later he was president of Utah State Press Association. Park City's other failed newspaper venture was the Utah Patriot, begun in July, 1895 by J. J. Flahiff, a controversial Arkansan. It changed hands 18 months later when Flahiff purportedly joined the Klondike gold rush. And it ceased entirely in August, 1897 when under the guidance of J. T. Camp, a widely-travelled but generally unsuccessful Utah newsman. In more recent times, three other weekly publications appeared on the Park City scene. One, the Mountain Rose, published by Nick Snow, lasted less than two years. Another, the Coalition, was begun by Jan Peterson, Don Prescott and John Clayton in the early 1970s. Peterson's share was acquired by Stephen Dering and the paper functioned until it was taken over for printing debts by Howard Stahle of Roy, who held 75% while Dering retained his 25%. It was renamed The Newspaper and Jan Wilking, Greg Shirf and Hank Louis bought Stahle's interest in September, 1976. With his remaining share, Dering became the fourth partner and was editor. Two years later the stock of Louis and Shirf was bought by Wilking and Dering and in 1979 Wilking became the sole owner. On June 1, 1983, 72
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 084-UPA_Page72.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416083
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416083