Contents

Page2

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page2
Description UTAH PRESS ASSOCIATION 1893, it was somewhat less effected by it than the more populous East. A rather abbreviated gold rush took place that year when the precious metal was found at Camp Floyd. And another of comparatively brief duration was discovered in Big Cottonwood Canyon, where both silver and gold ore came to light. A strike in the Oquirrh range's Lewiston Canyon proved to be one of the territory's longer-lived lodes. Ore veins had been producing there for some time, leading to the 1893 establishment of the town of Mercur. Such discoveries hadn't been unusual in Utah Territory, where towns sprouted almost overnight. Usually they were nothing more than tents and clapboard shacks adjacent to immensely valuable mining claims. Many such communities bulged to multithousand population levels and then disappeared with scarcely a trace when the ore veins were exhausted. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints made significant contributions to Utah's history in 1893. On April 6th, the Salt Lake Temple, a massive granite edifice that had been decades in construction, was dedicated. Later that year, a group which included Church leaders unveiled two important new features at Saltair, the resort they'd established on Great Salt Lake. Their objective was to "create a more wholesome recreational atmosphere" than that offered by seven other lakeside playgrounds. In addition, needless to say, the potential financial impact of such an amusement park hadn't escaped the Church hierarchy. They, too, were interested in capitalizing on tourist curiosity about the unusual lake and they welcomed Saltair's growing reputation as "The Coney Island of the West". One of the innovations was a spacious pavilion supported by wooden pilings plunged into the briny water nearly a half-mile from the normal shoreline. The other was a railroad ~ the Salt Lake, Garfield & Western - which, from a depot at 2nd South and 4th West, stretched 17 miles to the lake's edge. Not just to the lake, in fact, but to the pavilion itself, for the final portions of track were laid on trestles so that passengers could be deposited precisely at the entrance.
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 014-UPA_Page2.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416013
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416013