Contents

Page88

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page88
Description UTAH PRESS ASSOCIATION production of the paper to Kanab. He was succeeded October 27, 1939 by Elmar Walton, who in turn sold on January 14, 1941 to Loyd Lovestedt. Induction into the World War II military brought Lovestedt's tenure to a halt and four publishers appeared in Kanab during a 90-day period. Harold E. Holdaway, who bought Lovestedt's interest on February 5, 1942, was quickly followed by N. Harvey Larsen on February 19, 1942; L. H. Larsen on March 20, 1942 and Burnham Ford on May 22, 1942. When Ford entered the military, his father, Clair, and wife, Annamay, took over on June 8, 1943. War-time shortages of materials and printers forced them to suspend publication on November 4, 1943. A. C. and Jess E. Saunders revived the Standard on October 7, 1944 and on July 27, 1945 sold it to Myron W. Martin. His one-week occupancy of the publisher's chair is the shortest on record and J. Mark Holmes, a builder and realtor, followed. He yielded on September 6, 1946 to H. Eugene Roberts, who'd been a business colleague and the paper's editor. On May 28, 1948, Vincent N. Keller became publisher and on August 13, 1948, he was followed by David R. Pearson. His brief tenure ended November 26, 1948 with a sale to Francis J. Kelly. And on May 20, 1949, H. Eugene Roberts returned to the helm. Assuming the reins on November 11, 1949 was Dee W Crosby. Longevity finally came to Kanab's newspaper on August 25, 1950 when Errol Brown acquired the publication. An innovator, he began producing a portion of the paper by offset as early as January 16, 1953. And on November 5, 1953 he added the name Southern Utah News to the Standard banner, eventually converting it entirely to the new name. On May 10, 1966, Marlin and Delores Brown purchased the paper, publishing it until 1990 when their son, Matthew, was handed control. The Browns, who incidentally were not related to Errol, were still owners, however, when the News was sold on August 1, 1992 to Dennis and Dixie Brunner, former Wisconsin residents. Marlin Brown commented that the 26 years during which he and his wife had been Kanab's journalists marked the 88
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 099-UPA_Page88.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416099
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416099