Contents

Page100

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page100
Description UTAH PRESS ASSOCIATION travelling theatrical groups, he sang, danced, performed in vaudeville acts and often played the "heavy" in melodramas. He was the head of his own group, Peters' Peerless Players, when it was booked into Panguitch Lake and, as the saying goes, was greeted by an unusual number of people disguised as empty seats. He thereupon "quit the boards," settled in Panguitch and in April produced Volume 1, Number 1 of the News. He subsequently left his mark on other Utah papers in Mt. Pleasant and Tooele. The Panguitch editor, his wife Elnora Mae, published the News for a number of years after Will's death on November 11, 1929. Subsequent publishers were George Brewer and then Stanley V. Mikulewicz, the latter a Pennsylvania native who for two decades had been with International News Photo in New York City. He took over the paper February 25, 1950, seeking a high, dry climate because of his asthma. His wife and co-publisher, Clara, who had once been a professional basketball player in the East, passed away on May 1, 1974. The paper was purchased by Norman Fuellenbach of the Richfield Reaper in October, 1974. Sixteen years later, in 1990, Jim and Katie Thomas acquired the News and subsequently Mrs. Thomas became its publisher following her husband's death. PAYSON After the community's early manuscript papers, the Advocate and The Intelligencer had come and gone in the 1860s, Payson had no printed voice until May, 1889. At that time the Utah Enterprise, published by J. Frank Pickering, drew plaudits from other publications, but closed its doors in April, 1891. An opposing newspaper, begun in January, 1891, was the Payson Leader, under the editorial direction of E. R. Powell. Its death was almost simultaneous with that of the Enterprise. Very briefly early in 1892, Pickering returned to the field to initiate the ambitious, but ill-fated, Daily Hummer. Its swift demise opened the field for the first, not the present, Payson Chronicle and then the Enterprise-Chronicle, published by E. 100
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 111-UPA_Page100.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416111
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416111