Contents

Page71

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page71
Description SOME SUCCEEDED; MANY MORE DIDN'T MILFORD The first newspaper venture in this Beaver County community was the semi-weekly Sentinel, begun in August, 1880. It was, in fact, the Beaver Watchman with a masthead change. Publisher Joseph Field, decrying the lack of advertising patronage in Beaver, decided to move to the neighboring town because the Los Angeles & Salt Lake Railroad had established a division point there and prospects seemed brighter. It wasn't true ~ the paper suspended after less than a year. The Milford Times appeared on the scene 22 years later, publisher C. T. Harte describing himself as "the only newspaper publisher in Beaver County" and his product as "the only live paper in southern Utah." He departed in 1903, giving way to the man who probably was connected with more Utah newspapers than any other in history, James T. Jakeman. He, in turn, surrendered the reins to W. L. Elswick and the Times then changed names, becoming the Beaver County News in 1912. Briefly in 1914, Arthur B. Lewis was numbered among publishers of the News and a year later W. L. Elswick reappeared in company with M. J. Westerfield, a Californian. The paper finally gained more stability on March 1, 1916, when Karl Carlton became Westerfield's partner and on May 1, 1917, took total control. A Hall of Fame publisher, he newspapered in both Milford and Beaver until 1933, when his son, Walter, assumed the reins. In more recent years the paper successively became the property of two capable newsmen in one-time Salt Lake Tribune staffer Steve Williams and then, in July, 1970, N. R. (Red) Wilson, a transplanted Iowan. Struggling after Wilson's death, it finally ceased publication, leaving the Beaver Press the only paper printed in the county. Until 1991, that is, when Alice Smith somewhat tentatively launched in Milford the Dodge City News. Encouraged by its acceptance, she re-named it the Milford Monitor and in 1995 was continuing to publish the now five-year old weekly. 71
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 083-UPA_Page71.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416082
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416082