Contents

Page98

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page98
Description UTAH PRESS ASSOCIATION 15th. It was edited by Josiah Gibbs, a future Hall of Fame honoree, who stayed in the new location only four months before moving on to edit the Provo Dispatch. At that time, on October 26, 1895, his Nephi paper became the property of Orme and E. H. Pulver, who, on August 29, 1896, consolidated it with the Nephi Republic. The merged paper lasted until late in 1898, then expired. In the meantime, 1896 had witnessed the beginning and end of the Nephi Times under the guidance of Henry Adams. And 1899 saw an equally-brief appearance of the Juab County Republican shortly before the Nephi Record was launched at the outset of the new century by J. T. Pyles. Several newsmen were involved with it during nine years of operation, among them the well-travelled J. L. Ewing, W. L. Cook, R. J. Henroid, E. S. Carroll and Swen B. Freed. The Record was absorbed into the Juab County Times when it commenced publication on October 15, 1909. Conceived by Jacob Coleman, the Times finally brought a measure of stability to Nephi journalism. Coleman sold half of it to J. M. Christensen in 1912 and a year later A. B. (Abe) Gibson bought the other half. His family would still be publishing its descendant newspaper eighty years later. Dennis Wood and R. J. Henroid were co-publishers of the Nephi City News, which was launched May 1, 1916. On April 1, 1917 it was merged with the Times to create today's Nephi Times-News. Wood and Gibson were co-publishers until March 15, 1928, when Gibson became the sole owner. On April 10, 1942, he moved to the Pleasant Grove Review, leaving the Nephi property to his younger brother, Roy E. Gibson. After Roy's death June 19, 1978, publishing duties were taken over by his sons, Allan R. and Vance Gibson. Several years later Vance left the organization and Allan became the sole owner. Wood and both Abe and Roy Gibson are in the Utah Newspaper Hall of Fame. OREM-GENEVA While there are no microfilmed files, it is established that 98
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 109-UPA_Page98.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416109
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416109