Contents

Page104

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page104
Description UTAH PRESS ASSOCIATION Neither survived the test of time. The first, the Central Utah Press, opened November 28, 1891 under the guidance of W. W. Wallace. It soon became the property of humorous columnist Arthur E. Howard, who was commended and widely quoted by other Utah publishers until the close of 1900, when the Press succumbed to a dread disease newspaper people diagnosed as "financial malnutrition." Publisher Howard evidently received a transfusion of funds, however, for on July 19, 1901 he revived the Press as the Salina Sun, continuing his wit and humor until 1908 when he moved the newspaper to Richfield, renaming it the Sevier Sun. That Sun, however, is not the predecessor of today's publication serving Salina. The Sun of today had its beginnings in 1918 under the guidance of J. L. Ewing, at that time publisher of the Richfield Reaper. Perhaps it came into being because the doors had closed on another Salina publication. On May 10, 1906, the community had been introduced to the Salina Call, under the guidance of C. N. Lund, Jr. A decade later he changed its name to the Sevier Valley Call and in July, 1918, the publication and its plant were moved to Mt. Pleasant. The change was anything but voluntary. Lund had been a bit too editorially brittle for Salina tastes and what the publisher labelled "a mob" escorted him to the city limits. The opportunity thus opened up for Ewing to initiate what historian Cecil Alter jestingly labelled the Salina Sun (II). It was acquired September 6, 1920 by Charles Richardson; during 1921 was published by J. C. Jorgensen and then was returned to Richardson in 1922. The newspaper team which would give it longevity, Howard W. and Orsa B. Cherry, took over on June 2, 1923. Mr. Cherry died April 23, 1941 and his widow became the publisher. She and their son, H. W. (Wes), operated the Sun as well as the Gunnison Valley News until she retired in 1962. Wes Cherry, who was UPA's 1969 president, subsequently published until July 1, 1971, when he sold the Salina and Gunnison properties to Kent Crandall. He was the owner until 1981, when the papers were purchased by the Richfield Reaper under publisher Mark Fuellenbach. 104
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 115-UPA_Page104.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416115
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416115