Contents

Page105

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page105
Description "YOUNG" PAPERS THAT ACTUALLY ARE OLD Three years later, on April 1, 1984, Kevin Ashby, co-publisher with his brother, Craig, of the Uintah Basin Standard at Roosevelt, bought the Sun and the News. In 1993, Ashby relinquished the reins of both papers to Post Publishing Company, headed by Todd Newton. In November, 1994, upon the collapse of Newton's group, Ashby regained the paper and within a short time sold it to Jim and Lori Olsen, who had been the resident publishers. Howard and Orsa Cherry are the only husband-and-wife publishers in the Newspaper Hall of Fame. SPANISHFORK The ubiquitous James T. Jakeman presented Spanish Fork its first newspaper, the Index, in 1891, and operated it until November 26, 1892. Much of its existence was in competition with the Spanish Fork Sun and time proved the town wasn't big enough for two weeklies. The Sun, staffed by able journalists W. H. Kenner, formerly of the Wasatch Wave, and Andrew Jensen of the Provo Dispatch, began May 19, 1892. Kenner quickly surrendered his interests to Jensen and on September 16, 1892, Jensen sold the publication to M. L. Scott and Jesse Holt. With Scott eventually the sole owner, the Sun operated until May 6, 1893 - then set. The community which had enjoyed two newspapers now had none. The Herald, under Fred Smith, appeared in January, 1895 and disappeared November 2nd of the same year, leaving no known files. Today's Spanish Fork Press was launched January 23, 1902 by Andrew Jensen, back a decade after having sold the Sun. He suffered a stroke in December, 1909, and encouraged a young "printer's devil," Elisha Warner, to buy the paper. The transaction took place March 10, 1910. Four years later Ezra Warner joined his brother and they and their descendants retained the Press until August, 1962, when J. C. Henderson became the publisher. Called throughout his newspaper career only as " J.C.," he was known by very few as John Calvin 105
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 116-UPA_Page105.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416116
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416116