Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format application/pdf
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL

Page Metadata

Title Page286
Description UTAH PRESS ASSOCIATION A decision made in 1930 to relieve unemployment through road construction resulted in 632 miles being surfaced with oil treatment during 1931-32, the all-time record for such construction in Utah history. In 1933 the Federal government expanded its highway program, offering to cover 74% of costs if counties committed to the remaining 26%. It not only provided a way Utah's unemployed could get back on a payroll, the state's newspapers asserted, but enabled that to happen at a cost affordable to almost all county governments. Preference in employment was given men with families and as much as possible hand labor and work with teams of horses was stipulated since extensive use of machines would have meant fewer laborers would be needed. Less emphasis was placed on finding jobs for men through highway construction as other programs emerged from the "New Deal" administration of President Franklin D. Roosevelt. But road-building played an important part in combatting unemployment throughout the decade of the 1930s and into the beginning of World War II selective service, which quickly diminished the ranks of those without work. The threat of war heightened road construction and improvement as well. Designated arteries vital to military needs, 1,067 miles of roads were improved to military standards in 1941-42. Changing times tended to alter the need for newspapers to editorialize on transportation links considered vital to their areas. But the expression of opinion on routing of key roads continued. And with the advent of freeways, newspapers again assumed their argumentative postures in debating how their communities would be reached by the new roads and where exits and accesses would be located. Few of the state's papers in communities fronting on Interstate 15 or 1-80 weren't actively involved in such debates. The solutions they proposed or the counter-arguments they provoked were essential to construction of arteries best suited to serve the geographical areas the freeways penetrated. While Utah's newspapers were certainly not solely responsible for the early highway extensions, they were campaigning heavily and in most cases in good faith for the roads 286
Format application/pdf
Identifier 295-UPA_Page286.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2021-05-06
ID 416297
Reference URL