Contents

Page163

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format application/pdf
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page163
Description UTAH'S SIX SURVIVING DAILIES The Logan Herald-Journal The Herald-Journal of today traces its beginnings to an 1879 publication established as an extension of the Ogden Junction. The semi-weekly Ogden paper had, for several years, printed a substantial amount of Logan news and advertising and finally decided to give Cache Valley a masthead of its own. The weekly was named the Logan Leader and its initial issue appeared on September 11, 1879. Not quite three years later -- on August 1, 1882 -- a group of Logan businessmen created a company which acquired the Leader, re-equipped its plant and re-named it the Utah Journal. Its first editor was Horace G. Cummings of Salt Lake City, who, along with his brother Benjamin, had been in charge of the Leader. The manager was an ex-army officer from Nebraska, Captain E. B. Burnett. Ownership changes weren't uncommon in early Utah newspapering and the Journal was no exception. The paper was sold May 1, 1885 and John E. Carlisle became its editor. Within a year it changed to semi-weekly frequency and in 1889 was bought by R. W. Sloan of Salt Lake City. He changed its name to the Logan Journal. Its stout support of the Democratic party resulted in a Republican group creating, in April, 1891, the daily Logan Nation. The Nation was not long a daily. By 1895, with the name changed to the Logan Republican, it was a weekly. Somewhere in those rather confusing newspaper times, the Republican again became the Nation and when it last published, in 1904, it was so-titled. Early in 1902 the paper had abandoned its staunch support of the Grand Old Party and become independent. Which so irritated Republican party leadership that a second Logan Republican was launched on September 10, 1902. Meanwhile, the Journal had passed from the hands of Sloan to a reorganized company which brought in G. W. Wil- 163
Format application/pdf
Identifier 172-UPA_Page163.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416174
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416174