Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format application/pdf
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL

Page Metadata

Title Page117
Description PAPERS THAT CAME -- AND MANY THAT WENT the Price owners and in 1940 acquired a half interest in the Journal's stock, purchasing that of Cowles. N. Joe Tullius later bought the half interest of MacKnight and joined Memmott as a co-publisher. Memmott was a school principal in Carbon County and member of the Board of Education prior to resigning in order to enter newspapering. On June 1, 1950, Tullius bought Memmott1 s share of the paper and continued as its publisher until April 15, 1973. At that time he sold to Sun-Advocate Publishers, Inc. Upon his retirement, Tullius had been involved with the Journal for 38 years. The new owners, who had bought the neighboring Price paper in 1966, merged the two publications into the Sun-Journal for a year, after which Helper ceased as an individual newspaper. HYRUM The South Cache Courier began life November 15, 1908 with John W. Harry of Smithfield as the founder. For a period of time it, and the Smithfield Sentinel were both produced in the plant of the Sentinel. A half-dozen years later Jacob A. Wahlen became the owner with C. F. Olson as editor. On December 4, 1925 the Courier ceased to be, Wahlen joining Ralph R. Channel in establishing a Logan weekly, the Cache Valley Herald. Hyrum was only briefly without a newspaper. Clyde F. Settle, with the backing of the Hyrum Citizens Club, unveiled the South Cache Citizen on January 29, 1926. The club's appeal to readers noted, "For 17 years we received weekly the South Cache Courier, but its owner saw fit to move elsewhere. We ask the people to support our new paper, its owner and general manager." The community rallied around the Citizen and on October 22, 1926 its name was changed to that of the original publication, the South Cache Courier. After he'd sold his interests to the emerging Cache Valley Daily Herald, Jacob Wahlen returned to Hyrum and purchased the Courier. It was briefly published by Leslie J. Christensen in 1931 and then by LeRoy Wahlen. On Christmas Day of that year, B. Dale Gibson became the publisher and the paper came 117
Format application/pdf
Identifier 128-UPA_Page117.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2021-05-06
ID 416128
Reference URL