Contents

Page61

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format application/pdf
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page61
Description SOME SUCCEEDED; MANY MORE DIDN'T nal, a brief venture which began and ended early in 1877. Long afterward, on January 7, 1927, John M. Peterson attempted another Journal as an adjunct of the Midvale Journal and the Murray Eagle. It lived but briefly. EUREKA Eureka, then a flourishing mining camp, had two newspapers, neither of which succeeded, during this time. The first, begun in 1879 and lasting less than two years, was the Sentinel. The second, which began in 1881 upon the demise of the Sentinel, was the Leader. It ceased publication in the same year. No copies have been found of either weekly, but their existence is proven by acknowledgement in other Utah papers. The Sentinel was quoted by both Ogden and Provo publications; the Leader by Park City's Record. Quipped Alter in his journalistic summary: "Newspaper spooks or spirits hover over this mining town in a flock, and are about as readily singled out and identified as if they really were ghosts. The newspapers, like the mines on the mountainsides nearby, were started, prospered promisingly for a time, and were then abandoned with little more tangible evidence of their history than a hole and a dump." The Eureka Chief came along on October 18, 1889 under the guidance of E. C. Higgins. On May 1, 1891, it was purchased by brothers C. F. and E. H. Rathbone of the Tintic Miner, which in turn was owned by Newman A. Mix and then by C. F. Spilman. It continued until 1904, when Spilman described it as "Democratic in politics and religion; circulation, not what it should be." The exact date of its demise went unrecorded. From September 29,1894 until the turn of the century, a Eureka paper first titled the Eureka Democrat and then the Juab County Republican was published in the mining community. Though bearing two different nameplates, it was the same publication, prompting a newsman of the day to editorially comment, "Politics makes strange bedfellows and many of 'em!" 61
Format application/pdf
Identifier 073-UPA_Page61.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416072
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416072