Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format application/pdf
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL

Page Metadata

Title Page35
Description THE TERRITORY'S EARLIEST NEWSPAPERS Throughout the time it existed in Mt. Pleasant, the Call continued to be mailed in Salina, where its second class permit was registered. McArthur published the Pyramid until October 3, 1947, when he sold to Thomas Judd and Harrison Conover, the latter publisher of the Springville Herald. Conover acquired Judd's interest in 1950 and the paper has subsequently been the property of his family. McArthur is commemorated in the Newspaper Hall of Fame. Ogden Standard-Examiner The Standard portion of Northern Utah's dominant daily originated January 1, 1888 and was the survivor of years of bitter competition in a city once described as "the graveyard of Western journalism." The other half of its present-day hyphenated masthead, the Examiner, began publication on January 1, 1904 and the two combined into an evening daily on April 1, 1920. Newspapers launched and then buried in Ogden numbered 51, making the Standard-Examiner a most enduring publication in a once-turbulent marketplace. A more detailed history of the Standard-Examiner appears in Chapter 8. The Standard's first editor, Frank J. Cannon, as well as William Glasmann, the publisher who lifted the paper from its doldrums in 1894, and his editor, Edwin A. Littlefield, are all enshrined in the Hall of Fame. Both Glasmann and Littlefield were present in 1893 when Utah Press Association was born. Park Record The state's oldest weekly, it opened its doors on February 8, 1880 as the Park Mining Record. James R. Schupbach, the first publisher, departed on June 18, 1881 for Butte, Montana, succeeded by Harry W. White. He, in turn, surrendered the publisher's chair to J. J. Buser on November 2,1884. The Record's publisher or co-publisher for 63 years (1884- 35
Format application/pdf
Identifier 047-UPA_Page35.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2021-05-06
ID 416046
Reference URL