Contents

Page34

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format application/pdf
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page34
Description UTAH PRESS ASSOCIATION conducted and nice looking journal; a credit to the journalistic profession." Shomaker departed in 1898 when P. A. Poulsen became the lessee-manager and in succession the Messenger was published by Christen Axelsen, N. P. Nelson, J. L. Ewing, M. A. Boyden, S. Peter Petersen and William Henry Peterson. R. LaVaun Cox, son of Ephraim Enterprise publisher Roscoe, bought the Messenger on August 30, 1946. He would be at the helm until November 3, 1960 when Larry Stahle purchased the property. In turn, he stepped out of the publishing role on September 1, 1972, selling to Max E. Call, who was editor/publisher until November, 1993. At that time the Messenger was sold to Post Publishing Company, headed by Todd Newton. Almost a year to the date later, Newton's firm collapsed and Call again became publisher of the Messenger, Mt. Pleasant Pyramid One of Utah's earliest weeklies, it was launched December 6, 1890 and has been continuously produced since that time. It was preceded some 23 years earlier by a manuscript paper, The Sanpitcher, which had but a brief existence under editor David Candland. The Pyramid was founded by A. B. Williams, who after only six months turned it over to brothers J. M. and M. A. Boyden, the latter once a Salt Lake Times staff member. Though he returned to the Pyramid in partnership with the Boydens, in 1895 Williams moved on to a successful newspaper career in Medford, Oregon. When he left, his interest was sold to John J. Woodring, a silent partner. I. E. Jorgensen and C. N. Lund, Jr. would also be financially involved in the paper before, in March, 1911, Burke McArthur became the sole owner. A Mt. Pleasant native, he had learned basics of news-papering as a Pyramid printer's devil. McArthur had a competitor for only four years, from July, 1918 until May, 1922. It was the Mt Pleasant Call, published by the afore-mentioned C. N. Lund, Jr., who'd incurred the wrath of readers of his Sevier Valley Call in Salina and had almost forcibly been "encouraged" to depart that community. 34
Format application/pdf
Identifier 046-UPA_Page34.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416045
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416045