Contents

Forty-niner in Utah, page 050

Request archival file or update item information
Identifier /tanner/image/forty_niner.xml
Title A Forty-niner in Utah with the Stansbury Exploration of Great Salt Lake: Letters and Jounral of John Hudson, 1848-50
Creator Hudson, John, 1826-1850
Subject Frontier and pioneer life; Letters; Diaries -- Authorship; Mormons
Subject Local Mormons --Utah--Biography; Frontier and pioneer life --Utah; West (U.S.) --Description and travel; Utah --Description and travel
Description John Hudson, artist and writer, chronicles his travels from New York City across the Plains towards California to partake in the Gold Rush. What was to have been a temporary stop in Salt Lake City stretches to sixteen months and includes participation in Captain Howard Stansbury's expedition of the Great Salt Lake.
Publisher Tanner Trust Fund University of Utah Library, Salt Lake City, Utah
Contributors Madsen, Brigham D.; Cooley, Everett L.; Tyler, S. Lyman; Ward, Margery W.
Type Text
Format application/pdf
Language eng
Relation Is part of: Utah, the Mormons, and the West, no. 11
Coverage Time: 1848-50
Rights Management University of Utah, Copyright 2001
Holding Institution J. Willard Marriott Library, University of Utah.
Source Physical Dimensions 14.75 cm x 23 cm
Source Characteristics Printed Hard Cover Book
Scanning Technician Karen Edge
Metadata Cataloger Kenning Arlitsch; Jan Robertson
ARK ark:/87278/s6v1242x
Topic Mormons; Frontier and pioneer life; United States, West; Utah; Letters; Diaries--Authorship
Setname uum_ttb
Date Created 2005-04-20
Date Modified 2011-04-07
ID 327931
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6v1242x

Page Metadata

Identifier 063.gif
Title Forty-niner in Utah, page 050
Description To the Plains in `49 Pitsburgh & still by rail, l3 as you are aware the cars in use here are widely different from ours, they are very long, the seats placed cross wise leaving a passage down the centre for the Guard, a car will hold abt 60 Persons, the Country through which we are now passing had many very beautiful spots, bold rocks rising from a swollen river, & with a back ground of undulating hills or exten- sive plains covered with wood & although too early for foliage the great quantity of evergreens redeem the aspect from barrenness. About 6 we arrived at Cumberland intending to proceed at once across the mountains4 a difficulty abt the baggage however com- pelled us to remain until the morning & were not sorry that we thus gained an opportunity of viewing the scenery of the Alleghanies. The mountains are crossed by stages or coaches strongly built & well hung drawn by 4 horses. they will hold 10 Passengers, one & the only one outside being seated with the driver. The road was very precipitous & so to relieve the horses as well as to vary the journey we alternately rode & walked Some Baltimoreans (Baltimore: J. D. Ehlers and Company, 1873), p. 253; J. Thomas Scharf, History of Baltimore City and County (Philadelphia: Louis H. Everts, 1881), p. 516. i3 The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, in the spring of 1849, extended westward only to Cumberland, 178 miles away, a trip which required 9% hours and $7.00 in fare. At this time the B&O was operating over its line, 10 first-class engines, 2 second-class engines, a third-class engine, 28 "a-wheeled" passenger cars, and 171 freight cars. In addition, the new "edge" rails had just been installed to replace the old "plate" rails. Construction of the new section of the line, another 201 miles to Wheeling, was just beginning when Hudson traveled over the railroad. Dunbar, Travel in America, p. 1113; Milton Reizenstein, The Economic History of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, 1827-1853 (Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins Press, 1897), p. 15; Alice Marie Earle, Stage-coach and Tavern Days (New York: The Macmillan Company, 1922), p. 1113. l4 The town of Cumberland, located on the northern bank of the Potomac River, had been laid out as Fort Mount Pleasant, on July 4, 1754, by George Washington. Colonel James Iness completed the building of the town and renamed it Fort Cumberland after the third son of King George II. Under congressional legislation in 1806, Cumberland was named the starting point for the National Road (or Cumberland Road) which was to be built across the mountains to Wheeling and which came to be a well-traveled highway for thousands of emigrants, particularly in the 1820s. With the construction of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, the first train reached Cumberland in 1842 and immediately trans- formed the sleepy village into a busy transfer point. The population rose from 2,428 in 1840 to over 6,000 by 1850. Earle, Stage-coach and Tavern Days, p. 11; Workers of the Writers' Program of the Work Projects Administration in the State of Maryland, Mary- land: A Guide to the Old Line State (New York: Oxford University Press, 1940), p. 264; Philip D. Jordan, The National Road (New York: The Bobbs-Merrill Company, 1948), pp. 73, 103. 50
Format application/pdf
Source A Forty-niner in Utah with the Stansbury Exploration of Great Salt Lake: Letters and Journal of John Hudson, 1848-50
Setname uum_ttb
Date Created 2005-04-14
Date Modified 2005-04-14
ID 327735
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6v1242x/327735