Mountain Names Remembered

Download item | Update item information
Title Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 14
Subject Pioneers
Description Stories and poems about early Southern Utah Pioneers
Publisher Snow College
Date 1982
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Language eng
Rights Management Snow College
Holding Institution Snow College
ARK ark:/87278/s6wh2n45
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-03-01
Date Modified 2005-03-01
ID 325496
Reference URL

Page Metadata

Title Mountain Names Remembered
Description Our guide now tells us that if we take the road to the left we would travel along Dahl's Dugway. However, this road is now only a narrow horse trail due to forces of nature which have caused part of the road to slip away into the creek below. A man by the name of Dahl from Spring City spent much time and effort in the early years working to make the dugway a safer place for travel. At one time the dugway had a sign which read, "To Emery County." A short distance from the dugway was an area known as the Black Springs. (A black willow tree once grew near the spring.) In 1935 this was a favorite spot for school hikes and picnics. That year Randolph Jensen took his 6th grade students to the site for an outing. The trip was made with team and wagon with one of the students, Leslie Madsen, driv-ing the conveyance with his classmates to the springs where they enjoyed picnicking and climbing around the hills. Back on the main road we pass the Pig Pen. A cool mountain spring bubbled here where people and livestock came to quench their thirst. We round the Bed Cedar Curve, a sharp turn named for the three big, red cedars which once stood there. Another picturesque spot is Ponderosa Flat. The Ponderosas were planted there about 1915 under the super-vision of F. S. Baker, Forester, as a testing area for Utah and Idaho. Around Hairpin Curve we see a solid mass of quaking aspen trees, called Sampson's Carpet, because from the view above it looks like a huge, green carpet. Lake Hill, the city campground, is enticing with its fishing and pleasant camping area. Another landmark is the Cabbage Patch. Some call it wild cabbage, but it is actually Mules Ear, and the only patch on the Ephraim reserve. We stop now at Burnt Stump Waters, a favorite rendezvous of early teamsters. Here fire had burned many trees down, leaving only blackened stumps. A stream of water runs under the road. In the days when men traveled over the mountain to Emery County with their teams and wagons to get coal for the winter, the tires on the wagons would get hot coming down the mountain, so this was a favorite place to stop and pour water on the tires to cool them down. We swing around the S Curve and next arrive at the Great Basin Experiment Station, established in 1912. "It is the oldest research station on forest range and watershed land in America." -80-
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 094_Mountain Names Remembered.jpg
Source Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 14
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-19
Date Modified 2005-02-19
ID 325426
Reference URL