Contents

Union Roller Mills - Fairview

Download item | Update item information
Title Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 14
Subject Pioneers
Description Stories and poems about early Southern Utah Pioneers
Publisher Snow College
Date 1982
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Language eng
Rights Management Snow College
Holding Institution Snow College
ARK ark:/87278/s6wh2n45
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-03-01
Date Modified 2005-03-01
ID 325496
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6wh2n45

Page Metadata

Title Union Roller Mills - Fairview
Description UNION ROLLER MILLS - FAIRVIEW Hugh Brady Rt. 1 Box 82 Downey, ID 83234 Senior Citizen Division Third Place Historical Essay With the growth of Fairview in population, industry, and businesses such as stores, sawmills, sheep and cattle, the new flour mill company soon felt the need of a mill with greater capacity, one which would produce better flour, operate more efficiently, and meet the competition of larger mills of the valley. It was now about 1885. In consequence of this need, the company secured a new location about 1 1/2 miles southwest of town, where a better water power could be developed. Lumber was now available and on this new site they erected a four-story frame building. Elam's stone burrs and sifter reels were brought to the new building and installed. Additional roller grinders and another sifter were added. A millrace (ditch) brought water from Sanpitch River and Spring Creek to the new steel turbine waterwheel and supplies the needed power. Through the years of service, grinding and sharpening, the old burrs Elam had brought from the quarries east of Murray were soon set aside and replaced with a new and larger set. The NEW HILL was now producing a desirable quality of flour, and business was increasing. More wheat was being produced by the settlers and greater demands were being made of the NEW MILL. Newer and better equipment was being manu-factured continually, making for greater efficiency. About 1880 a new "PLAN SIFTER" systen had been estab-lished at Mt. Pleasant. It was producing even better flour than the old Reel Sifter systemt and some of the community's business was going there. As a result of these changing conditions, a new company was organized at Fairview, to be known as "UNION ROLLER MILLS. " More steel rollers (grinders) and new Plan Sifters (shaker type) replaced the reel sifters. The capacity of the New Mill increased to 50 barrels per day (1 barrel = 196 pounds). A millwright from Canada, a Mr. Shelby, was obtained to install the new equipment and put it into operation. A new home of four rooms was built near the mill. -108-
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 122_Union Roller Mills - Fairview.jpg
Source Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 14
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-19
Date Modified 2005-02-19
ID 325492
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6wh2n45/325492