Contents

Block M

Update item information
Title Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 18
Subject Pioneers
Description Stories and poems about early Southern Utah Pioneers
Publisher Snow College
Date 1986
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Language eng
Rights Management Snow College
Holding Institution Snow College
ARK ark:/87278/s6n014pd
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-03-01
Date Modified 2005-03-01
ID 325758
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6n014pd

Page Metadata

Title Block M
Description verbal, although logic could certainly have placed it on Temple Hill. At that time high school students packed their lunches and hiked to Devil's Ribs and Temple Springs for their outings, which passed over or around Temple Hill. If this were so, why was the location changed to the "face" of the mountain east of Manti in 1929? The only answer to be found is logic again--the M could be seen more clearly from where it still stands today. In 1927, the Junior Boys formed the High Life Club as a means of striving for quality activities for both social and public service affairs. In 1923-29 their by-laws were changed to include both Junior and Senior Boys. Quoting from the M.H.S. Clarion of 1929, page 50, "In order to belong, a boy must not only foster school spirit, but must be an abstainer from the use of alcohol and tobacco; chivalrous to the ladies, and cooperate with all those working for the betterment of the school." The club was guided through 1928-29 by Gerald Ottosen, "Big Chief;" Chesley Eliason, "Little Chief;" Winston Crawford, "Claws;" and Theron Clinger, "T.N.T." In chemistry class, with J. Carlyle Munk, teacher, they were discussing any and all possibilities for projects to sponsor. Mr. Munk suggested a Block M on the face of the mountain east of Manti. He knew surveying and engineering and agreed to be their faculty advisor.2 They had to get permission from the Manti High School and an easement from Frank Cox, the property owner. Although there is no record in the Sanpete County Recorder's Office, Mr. Cox stipulated that if the school started the project, they had to agree to its yearly up-keep or it would revert back to its original state with no strings attached. 3 In the fall of 1928, the High Life Club hiked up through 'Jill Brown's Orchard carrying the surveyor s tools and all other equipment needed. They chose the center point of the most level place and began to survey the M at a 45° angle. It was surveyed to cover a quarter of a block, 1 acre, or about 209 square feet. 17
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 030_Block M.jpg
Source Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 18
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-19
Date Modified 2005-02-19
ID 325668
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6n014pd/325668