Contents

A Time for Growing Up

Download item | Update item information
Title Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 18
Subject Pioneers
Description Stories and poems about early Southern Utah Pioneers
Publisher Snow College
Date 1986
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Language eng
Rights Management Snow College
Holding Institution Snow College
ARK ark:/87278/s6n014pd
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-03-01
Date Modified 2005-03-01
ID 325758
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6n014pd

Page Metadata

Title A Time for Growing Up
Description moved to Emery County at Baseball Flats on the White Mountain in Twelve Mile Canyon. The folks from both Sanpete and Emery Counties came by horseback, buggy, even wagonloads, to bring their families to this once-a-year meeting place. Here they visited, played games, ran races, sang songs, and danced to celebrate their holiday of perhaps a week's duration. In "The Corner" between Step-Flats and Musinia, three brothers--Pete, Andrew, and Hyrum (Swen) Anderson - owned and operated a sawmill, Pete enjoyed dancing and played the accordion. Soon the brothers conceived the idea of building a dance floor, which they did. Many a weary traveler or mountain visitor brought their camping equipment and enjoyed dancing of an evening in the clear, cool, mountain air. Wales Early dancing in Wales as in other Sanpete communities was done in the homes and in The Bowery. Later, dances were held in what was known as the "Common House." In 1S91 a social hall was erected. Railroad ties were gathered and sold for 25 cents each to buy lumber from a Spring City lumber mill to build the hall. An annex was added in 1904. In 1939, Wales Town sponsored a W, P„ A. project and an open air dance floor was constructed (These Our Fathers, p. 216). 'Moroni Moroni was always a favorite spot for dancing through the years. "One of the modern dance halls of the county was built in 1890 by Daniel Nelsen, Peter, James, and Lewis Swensen. This building wan known as the Pavilion until it was purchased by the city during the Fenton Draper administration. At this time the name was changed to the Old Bungalow. The building was remodeled by the city and presented to the church,, . ." Church, school, and town dances were held here. Many couples also 12 7
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 140_A Time for Growing Up.jpg
Source Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 18
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-19
Date Modified 2005-02-19
ID 325658
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6n014pd/325658