Contents

Block M

Update item information
Title Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 18
Subject Pioneers
Description Stories and poems about early Southern Utah Pioneers
Publisher Snow College
Date 1986
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Language eng
Rights Management Snow College
Holding Institution Snow College
ARK ark:/87278/s6n014pd
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-03-01
Date Modified 2005-03-01
ID 325758
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6n014pd

Page Metadata

Title Block M
Description Sources: JB P. L. Breinholt's journal, Lloyd Winn's personal recollections, and author's personal recollection. A picture of P, P. L. Breinholt in his monument yard was published in the Saga, Vol, 13, 1981. BLOCK 11 Norma S, WanIass Manti, UT 84642 Honorable Mention Historical Essay As important as it has been to all generations of youth growing up in Manti, it is strange that in the years of the Manti High School, which held its first graduation exercise in 1909, that there has been no reference to the history of the conception of the Block M overlooking Manti, made in the M.H.S, Clarion. Perhaps Manti High School has become too cosmopolitan to care. There are some who argue that Gunnison had a G on the hill west of their town before Manti did, Manti, Ephraim, and Gunnison were so competitive that if one had something, the other worked to get one bigger and nicer. Reva Tennant Jensen, Class of 1919, however, does not agree that competition is the determining factor. Manti and Gunnison were fifteen miles apart, each isolated in a world of their own because of conditions of that period, which took awhile to get any factual news and verify it. She thinks that by that time one, or the other, wouldn't have cared. Manti High School Alumni members that were asked to voice their opinions feel that we imitated the Y above the campus of Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah, or the S above the Snow College campus in Ephraim, Utah.1 In the History of the Class of 1919, written by Mrs Jensen, she states that the M was on the Temple Hill, now called Duncan's Hill, looking out to the south and west over its domain, Ue can xiLn d no other vbitl ficBt l on of t h t_s • writ ten or 16
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 029_Block M.jpg
Source Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 18
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-19
Date Modified 2005-02-19
ID 325667
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6n014pd/325667