Contents

A Time for Growing Up

Update item information
Title Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 18
Subject Pioneers
Description Stories and poems about early Southern Utah Pioneers
Publisher Snow College
Date 1986
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Language eng
Rights Management Snow College
Holding Institution Snow College
ARK ark:/87278/s6n014pd
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-03-01
Date Modified 2005-03-01
ID 325758
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6n014pd

Page Metadata

Title A Time for Growing Up
Description The Peter Swalby Hall (located where Snow College Library now stands) , was at one time a barn and stable for horses that traveling salesmen used. « .In the early nineties, Peter Swalby bought the barn and converted it into an Opera House and Dance Hall, The upper story of the Co-op Store building was also used as an amusement hall, "with a stage at the west end of the room and a balcony at the east end. Another dance hall in Ephraim was known as the J. P.. Milestrup store building. (This was after the Swalby Theatre and Dance Hall were in use. There were some very good dance halls in (the early 90s.) A man by the name of Mortensen ¦ bought the store building and converted it into a dance hall. At that time, Jens Fidler played the violin, and Hart Christensen, the accordion. Dances were held nearly every week. In those days, dancing was the main amusement. In the early 1890s, a dance floor was built by Jim Larsen in his garden under the apple trees. There were also some large shade trees where poles were placed from tree to tree and swings were hung, The music was furnished by Jim Larsen playing the violin and one of his daughters playing the piano. They sold homemade ice cream for refreshments. In the year 1897, Ezra Madsen and Andrew L. Thorpe erected the "Opera House" where traveling theatre companies came and put on shows. This was also used as a dance hall. Then someone built a dance pavilion just east of Matilda Schultz's home and the Christiansen Furniture store on South Main,. It was entered via the driveway between these two buildings. Folks danced there for some years, and this building was used for a season to show silent pictures on the screen. It was also used for wedding receptions, then as a banquet hall, and later as a roller-skating rink. In 1911, a group of prominent Ephraim men erected the "Social Hall" at Main and 1st South. When this hall was finished, it was said to be one of the nicest dance halls in the state and was given 125
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 138_A Time for Growing Up.jpg
Source Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 18
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-19
Date Modified 2005-02-19
ID 325656
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6n014pd/325656