A History of a Monument Yard

Download item | Update item information
Title Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 18
Subject Pioneers
Description Stories and poems about early Southern Utah Pioneers
Publisher Snow College
Date 1986
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Language eng
Rights Management Snow College
Holding Institution Snow College
ARK ark:/87278/s6n014pd
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-03-01
Date Modified 2005-03-01
ID 325758
Reference URL

Page Metadata

Title A History of a Monument Yard
Description sandstone wheel on which he kept his chisels sharp. Sometimes he let his grandchildren turn it for him. My brother was big enough to sit on the seat and reach the pedals that made the wheel go round as the chisels were sharpened. He chiseled and decorated the gray sandstone he used for monument bases. The sandstone for the bases came from a small underground quarry Grandpa owned. It was situated just east of the highway, on a little rolling hill near Pigeon Hollow. The stone was all underground. To get the stone out, they would clean away the dirt, bore several holes in the rock and fill them with a fuse and black blasting powder. Then the holes were covered with very wet mud and the fuses were lit. Everyone stepped far away until the explosion went off. This would crack the rock so it could be pulled out in large pieces and hauled to town. Now it was ready to be shaped up to hold the more expensive stone monuments. Grandpa was fussy about finishing off the sandstone bases. He left no sharp edges. He gave the edges a corrugated look and rounded the corners with a special design. Grandpa was a meticulous craftsman. He carefully traced, with pencil, the lettering and designs to go on the more expensive monuments of granite or marble. These monuments had to be shipped in from far-away places„ Grandpa made two moves from his first yard,, First he moved to the lot where the Tithing Office Building stood. Here the children, on their way to and from school, would stand with their faces up against the fence, watching his mallet and chisel at work. Next he made his last move to the comer of First South and Main Street. His son, Wilford Breinholt, who had joined his father in his trade, also built a home there. Grandpa worked in his monument yard until his death in 1923. Uncle Wilford carried on with the business and trained his son Frank in the art of stonework. After Uncle Wilford's death, Frank took over the business and moved it to Price, Utah. There it left the Breinholt family after Frank's death. 15
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 028_A History of a Monument Yard.jpg
Source Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 18
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-19
Date Modified 2005-02-19
ID 325631
Reference URL