||the rear A stairway leading to the second floor was built on the outside of the building on the south. A fireplace in the south-west corner was large enough to hold several pine logs standing side by side Construction began in 1851 and although the upstairs was not complete., the first council was held there November 22, 1851 It was characteristic of Mormon communities to seek amusement with which to alleviate the otherwise dreary monotony of their arduous toil, so when there were no meetings in session, the towns-folks had a great time dancing on the wooden floors Weddings, celebrations and special events took place here Babies were blessed, priesthood ordinances observed, and burial services conducted, as well as musical productions, dramatical performances and traveling minstrels. Noted speakers and Church authorities spoke from the pulpit There are people living today who recall attending some of these events, for example Reva Putman. living in Salt Lake City says she recalls attending religion classes while she was a girl As time went by, church and civic affairs separated and other buildings were constructed to serve the needs Among them were the Tabernacle. 1880. the City Hall, 1863, and the Sanpete County Courthouse. 1864 The Indians attended services in this building In the afternoon of July 27, 1854, after Welcome Chapman was appointed president of the Manti Stake, with Warren S Snow his counselor, Chief Walker, along with 103 males and 17 females was baptized in City Creek and following the baptism, confirmed members of the Church in the Council House Chief Walker was renamed Joseph Walker It was also here that Chief Arrowpine. who claimed leadership of the Utes after the death of Walker, signed his name with a "X" deeding Sanpete Territory to the Church In later history we learn that Chief Black Hawk had attended church in the Council House and was having dinner at the home of Ed Tooth, when he received word that one of his braves had a scuffle with John Lowry, Junior This event helped trigger the Black Hawk War that lasted three years. 1865-1868 Many stories could be told about the Council House It continued to serve the Manti citizens until it was razed in 1911 and replaced by the library- A fine old landmark that had enriched the lives of a people passed away into memoirs and history.