He Was Quite a Man

Update item information
Title Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 27
Subject Pioneers
Description Stories and poems about early Southern Utah Pioneers
Publisher Snow College
Date 1995
Type Text
Format application/pdf
Language eng
Rights Management Snow College
Holding Institution Snow College
ARK ark:/87278/s60863fm
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-03-01
Date Modified 2005-03-01
ID 326335
Reference URL

Page Metadata

Title He Was Quite a Man
Description In the morning of 13 January 1864, Jacob A, a son by his first wife, took sick of rheumatism and died quickly on 31 January 1864 Elisha faced another cold, dreary winter trek as he took his son to Provo to bury him beside his mother Elisha, the injured son. was still helpless as of 25 January 1864 The people of North Bend were planning on building a new meeting house and Elisha was appointed as one of the building committee on 1 March 1864. On 25 June 1864 Elder Orson Hyde was in Sanpete and accepted the resignation of James N. Jones as bishop, he also accepted the resignation of Elisha Jones as clerk Elisha had tended duties of the meeting house and it was to the square James had been called by the church as a part of the first group of fifty or sixty families to immigrate to new colonies even farther south The call was for October 1864 to go down on the "Muddy" river about one hundred miles southwest of St George. Utah. He took his younger wives with him leaving the first older wife in Fairview The two brothers' lives were now separated as Elisha also left Fairview On 20 September 1864 he offered his resignation as trustee of the meeting house, and A S Cora took his place He sold out his property in Fairview to James Knight and went to Provo Valley by the help of the Lord Just one month later in October 1864 he had moved to Heber City. Utah He began farming and blacksmithing and was soon elected a school trustee On 3 August 1865 he was appointed to take charge of the hands on the bridge across the river between Heber and Salt Lake James did not fare so well, he remained in the "Muddy" settlement for less than ten months Settling the Muddy was a difficult task, enough to try the faith of the staunchest He returned to Fairview seriously ill and died soon after on 14 August 1865 On the same day that James died. Elisha was elected Justice of the Peace of Heber In the cold of November 1865. Elisha and his son Elisha went to Fairview to drive his herd of sheep back over The mountain to Heber A year later, in November 1866, Elisha again went to Fairview, this time he brought his brother James's widow. Caroline Delight Jones, home with him On 15 December 1866 he took Sarah Ann and Caroline to the Endowment House in Salt Lake where Brother Woodruff sealed Sarah Ann to him for time and all eternity His first wife. Margaret, was re-sealed to him with Sarah being proxy Caroline was sealed to Elisha for time and sealed to James for eternity These two young wives continued having children and Elisha continued in his "get things done" manner Besides being a school trustee and justice of the peace, he was a fanner, blacksmith, shoemaker, and the only dentist Heber had--he pulled teeth for everyone 74
Format application/pdf
Identifier 084_He Was Quite a Man.jpg
Source Saga of the Sanpitch 27
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-23
Date Modified 2005-02-23
ID 326263
Reference URL