Contents

Sanpete's First Public Institution the Manti Council House

Update item information
Title Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 27
Subject Pioneers
Description Stories and poems about early Southern Utah Pioneers
Publisher Snow College
Date 1995
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Language eng
Rights Management Snow College
Holding Institution Snow College
ARK ark:/87278/s60863fm
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-03-01
Date Modified 2005-03-01
ID 326335
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s60863fm

Page Metadata

Title Sanpete's First Public Institution the Manti Council House
Description SANPETE'S FIRST PUBLIC INSTITUTION THE MANTI COUNCIL HOUSE 1851-1911 Lillian H. Armstrong Fox Senior Honorable Mention Short Story The Council House was the focal point for directing church and civic affairs in the Sanpete region for thirty-six years This fine old building continued to serve Manti for a total of sixty years Located on the corner where Main and Union intersect, it was replaced by the Manti Public Library in 1912 The Old Council House in Manti 1854-1906 Drawing by Elizabeth Story. Courtesy Lillian H. Fox In the year 1849 when the Mormon pioneers were invited 10 come to the Sanpitch and establish a community, the Sanpitch was a large area including what is now Sanpete. Carbon. Emery and Grand Counties It wasn't until the year 1879 that the counties were divided During that thirty-year period, all roads led to Manti and all streets to the Council House The first company of pioneers arrived in South Central Utah in November of 1849 After an eventful winter when they nearly perished from cold and exposure, they planned to build a community On their drawing board was a building large enough to hold public meetings This was March 6. 1850. four months after they arrived They began to construct the building near the gray hill, but when President Brigham Young arrived. July 5. 1850. he advised them to locate the building further out in the valley near City Creek, where water would always be available Therefore, when the land was surveyed and a township established. Block 56 near the center was set aside for public buildings The north-east comer of this block became the location of the Council House President Young had pledged financial help from the Church In March 1851 Isaac Morley received S944 from him The Council House was built of oolite stone taken from the Manti stone quarry The stones were rough and not sawed smoothly like those used when the temple was built twenty-four years later. This was the first two-story structure south of Salt Lake Cay 34
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 044_Sanpete's First Public Institution the Manti Council House.jpg
Source Saga of the Sanpitch 27
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-23
Date Modified 2005-02-23
ID 326312
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s60863fm/326312