He Was Quite a Man

Update item information
Title Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 27
Subject Pioneers
Description Stories and poems about early Southern Utah Pioneers
Publisher Snow College
Date 1995
Type Text
Format application/pdf
Language eng
Rights Management Snow College
Holding Institution Snow College
ARK ark:/87278/s60863fm
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-03-01
Date Modified 2005-03-01
ID 326335
Reference URL

Page Metadata

Title He Was Quite a Man
Description bought some tools and began smithing He was ordained an Elder in the Mormon religion and also ordained into the Quorum of Seventy By the spring of 1850 the industrious family had regained enough to go to Salt Lake Valley with an ox-cart company They arrived 7 September 1850 James had arrived in Salt Lake in August 1849 Hard work and misfortune still followed this family They suffered the loss of another child, a baby girl died at one month of whooping cough. There was considerable difficulty with the Indians and Elisha helped lay off the fort on Little Coltonwood. Elisha then moved his family to Provo and built a four-room house He notes in his journal that his brother James was living in Provo two blocks from him Being a hard working, civic-minded man, he served as constable, acted as deputy sheriff for three years, was elected one of the city council and one of the high council of the church At this time the first public announcement from the church encouraging plural marriage was given Elisha married two more wives and James look three more Imagine living in a four-room house with older children and add two younger wives the age of or younger than the children Just that would be hard enough on everyone, but the adversary still sprinkled misfortune over these good obedient people A son. John, married and died the next day The first wife Margaret had a child and lay sick a good while and only the mercy of God revived her Elisha's mother died in Ohio Then Margaret had a fit and put her foot in the fireplace and burned the toes and top to a crisp Her foot bled so much, again it was only through the blessings of the Lord that she lived Elisha went to the canyon and as he went to get a drink a great stone came down and caught him against a rock It burst his leg open nine inches, broke his leg in two places below the knee and split the bone five inches, crushing the knee bone Getting home must have been difficult, but in three weeks he went on crutches into the garden and worked from then on A call came from the church to settle new territory farther South On 9 November 1859, Elisha moved his family to Mt Pleasant. Margaret's burned foot was no better The first thing he did was build a cabin at North Bend. On 4 January' 1860 the people met and planned to build a fort, Elisha was appointed to oversee the east wall. Two days later his brother James was appointed to be the first bishop of North Bend and Elisha was appointed as clerk Elisha lived at North Bend working on the new settlement and preparing to bring his family there He went back to Mt Pleasant to help them from time to time He began to quarry rock for the fort wall on 12 January 1860. These good founding fathers did not wait for spring or summer but worked through the cold harsh winter By 29 January 1860 he had al! the rock quarried and hauled for the east side he was in charge of On g March he moved his family from Mt. Pleasant to North Bend into the house he built at 100 West and 100 South There were now twenty or twenty-five houses in 71
Format application/pdf
Identifier 081_He Was Quite a Man.jpg
Source Saga of the Sanpitch 27
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-23
Date Modified 2005-02-23
ID 326260
Reference URL