Contents

The Sanpete Valley Railroads

Update item information
Title Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 07
Subject Pioneers
Description Stories and poems about early Southern Utah Pioneers
Publisher Snow College
Date 1975
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Language eng
Rights Management Snow College
Holding Institution Snow College
ARK ark:/87278/s6154f64
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-26
Date Modified 2005-02-26
ID 325315
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6154f64

Page Metadata

Title The Sanpete Valley Railroads
Description THE SANPETE VALLEY RAILROADS John K. Olsen Ephraim, Utah Senior Division First Place Essay One of the very first coalmines in Utah opened shortly after 1854 at "Coalbed," since 1873 called "Wales," Utah. (The older Scandinavians never did learn how to say "Wales".) The veins of coal were small and the coal was slow in burning, but was good for forge work. Even the demand for coal was slow in developing until Johnston's Army stopped at Camp Floyd in 1858. A part of this army came south and camped near Ephraim for more than one year. Maybe this had some bearing on the army's demands by relaying the availability of coal to Camp Floyd. That part of the Johnston Army stationed at Ephraim departed in 1859, and those at Camp Floyd left Utah in 1861. Thereafter the coal found a good market in Salt Lake, but the long haul by team and wagon was a debiting factor. The Utah Central Railroad, the first Mormon built railroad, extended from Ogden to Salt Lake City. It was built 1n 1869,with the first train reaching the latter city January 10, 1870. The Utah Southern Rail road was incorporated on January 17, 1871 by another group of Mormons, to construct and operate a line of rail road from Salt Lake City to the southern part of the territory of Utah." Ground was broken on May 1, 1871, and on October 25, 1873 the first train reached Provo. The track was continued, and the train reached Juab, 15 miles south-west of Nephi, June 13, 1879. SANPETE VALLEY RAILROAD COMPANY In 1871, another group of Salt Lakers organized a railroad company for the purpose of constructing a railroad from Nephi to Coalbed (Wales), with the transporation of coal as the main body of freight. This road was started in the mid 70's but was sold to an English syndicate, along with the mine, before the road was completed to Pete's Canyon mine in 1879. (It has always been my opinion that the chief stockholder was a woman.) The first train to Wales was probably late in 1879 or 1880. Thus Wales became the southern terminal of the railroad in Sanpete for the distribu-tion of mail and freight. It held this honor until 1884. With the building of the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad through the Carbon County coalfields and into Salt Lake City and Ogden in 1883, thp coalmine at Wales was discontinued and the rails taken up from Fountain History of Utah Since Statehood, p. 353. -52-
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 061_The Sanpete Valley Railroads.jpg
Source Saga of the Sanpitch Vol. 7
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-19
Date Modified 2005-02-19
ID 325310
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6154f64/325310