Contents

The Manti Temple

Update item information
Title Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 07
Subject Pioneers
Description Stories and poems about early Southern Utah Pioneers
Publisher Snow College
Date 1975
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Language eng
Rights Management Snow College
Holding Institution Snow College
ARK ark:/87278/s6154f64
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-26
Date Modified 2005-02-26
ID 325315
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6154f64

Page Metadata

Title The Manti Temple
Description The congregation grew, and more room was needed, so Andrew Christian Nielsen (called "Mormon Preacher"), who was a mason by trade, donated rock from his stone quarry and much of the labor to buiId an annex or vestry upon the west side of the main building. There was an upstairs and main floor to this part and a door from the main buildings also there was one on the south from which to depart. Relief Society was held here, along wtih Mutual, Sunday School, Primary and other meetings. In 1877, Canute Peterson became Sanpete Stake President with Henry Beal and John B. Maiben as counselors and A. H. Lund as clerk. At the same conference Ephrain was divided into two wards, the North and the South. Again in 1923, Ephraim was divided into three wards, the West being added. In 1953, it was decided to completely remove the Tabernacle and build a modern one of red brick. Some people who didn't know of its history were glad to see it go, and those who had spent many hours within its walls on different occasions, were saddened. Sources: Personal experiences of author and family records of A. C. Nielson. THE MANTI TEMPLE Vic Frandsen Springville, Utah Senior Division First Place Poetry Elevated from the valley on a green protusive hill The Manti Temple stands aloft, God's purpose to fulfill. Seen at its sharp vantage point from all of Sanpete Valley, A shrine of proud magnificence where God's elect may rally. Built by weary, calloused hands, spurred on by gentle hearts, Designed in stately beauty by craftsmen's skillfull arts. For many years brave pioneers, thrugh constant sacrifice, Toiled through summer's searing sun and winter's mud and ice. At last the structure was complete, long efforts gained reward. In prayers of dedication it was given to the Lord. Oh! what a glorious edifice; aglow in radiant sun; A beacon bathed in buff and gold when the day is done. Here the covenants made with God, the highest known to man, Prepare us for the greatest gifts in His immortal plan. The Holy Seal of Promise unites us with our kin, In realms of exaltation we there may dwell within. -63-
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 072_The Manti Temple.jpg
Source Saga of the Sanpitch Vol. 7
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-19
Date Modified 2005-02-19
ID 325247
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6154f64/325247