Contents

Log Cabin Memorial

Update item information
Title Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 07
Subject Pioneers
Description Stories and poems about early Southern Utah Pioneers
Publisher Snow College
Date 1975
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Language eng
Rights Management Snow College
Holding Institution Snow College
ARK ark:/87278/s6154f64
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-26
Date Modified 2005-02-26
ID 325315
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6154f64

Page Metadata

Title Log Cabin Memorial
Description LOG CABIN MEMORIAL Lenore G. Denison Manti, Utah Senior Division Honorable Mention #2 Essay At the unveiling and dedication of the Bronze Marker on the Pioneer Cabin, Nov. 22, 1949, at a public service, just one hundred years to the day the pioneers came to Manti, Captain Kate B. Carter of the Central Camp D.U.P. said: "We are standing on sacred ground, which has been hallowed by the work and accomplishments of the Pioneers. The aim of the Daughter of Utah Pioneers is to preserve the history, relics, manuscripts and books of the pioneers for the future. Our heritage demands preservation of this sacred history." As former D.U.P. Historian it was my privilege, along with other local and county officers, to be present on that historic occasion. The marker was unveiled by Mrs. Maggie Sorenson Ephraim, oldest living grandchild of William and Johannah Richey, who in 1925 deeded the cabin to the Manti Camp of D.U.P. as a memorial to the pioneers and as a place to store their relics. Mre. Sorenson, giving a history of the cabin, said that it was one of the first erected in Manti and that it was built originally inside the old log fort in 1853 by Nathaniel S. Beach; that it was later moved to 104 West 2nd North, where it was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. Richey, her grandparents. It was buiIt in the southwest corner of the log fort, with a fireplace in one end and a dirt roof that needs a covering of fresh soil each year to keep it from leaking. The early pioneers arrived in the Sanpitch Valley November 22, 1849, a band of fifty families led by Isaac Morley. Driving their wagons and stock over 125 miles and a three week's journey south from Salt Lake to the area now known as Manti, it was hoped they could build temporary shelter before winter set in. Scarcely had they made camp before a heavy storm arose, leaving the valley blanketed with two feet of snow. Their wagons afforded scant protection against wind and freezing temperatures. Desperately in search of better shelter, they turned to the hill that jutted out into the valley, later known as Temple Hill, where they made dugouts in the sidehill with smoke vents in the rear. Though the walls and floors were of dirt, these impoverished rooms kept the colonists warm through the severe winter, which took the lives of more than half of their cattle. Although they came by invitation of Indian Chief Walker and by request of President Brigham Young, the Indians were hostile and reluctant to allow the whites to occupy their lands. For protection the settlers turned to building a fort of logs from the nearby canyon. On January 19, 1925 the historic log cabin was deeded to the Manti Camp, Daughters of Utah Pioneers. Under the able direction of Alvira Felt, then Captain of Manti Camp, it was decided to move the cabin to its present site on Main Street. -60-
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 069_Log Cabin Memorial.jpg
Source Saga of the Sanpitch Vol. 7
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-19
Date Modified 2005-02-19
ID 325285
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6154f64/325285