Crazy Patch

Update item information
Title Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 07
Subject Pioneers
Description Stories and poems about early Southern Utah Pioneers
Publisher Snow College
Date 1975
Type Text
Format application/pdf
Language eng
Rights Management Snow College
Holding Institution Snow College
ARK ark:/87278/s6154f64
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-26
Date Modified 2005-02-26
ID 325315
Reference URL

Page Metadata

Title Crazy Patch
Description Over 75 years later, when remodeling was being done, some stones were removed from a column on the outside of the Temple, When the light shone into the hole, there lay a little pile of potatoes, not recognizable at first, a little pile of something. Gray, small objects, bits of mortar, or odd shaped stones, when lifted were almost weightless, and on close inspection, they proved to be potatoes. How did they get there, to be found after all those years? It still must remain a mystery. We saw the mummified potatoes. John was in the Temple, presiding at the time. He brought a few home in his pocket. I tried to revive one by soaking it in water over night, but to no avail. He still has a couple in his desk drawer. In all accounts of pioneer soap making I have listened to or read about, they are the same-women saved their drippings to mix them with lye water made fron wood ashes to make soap. The following is what Grandma said that I have never heard elsewhere. "In the early days in Sanpete we were so hungry we ate our drippings. When a critter was butchered, the intestines were used for soap. They were stripped, washed until they were as clean as the woman could get them, then put into the soap kettle. Before they soured, the lye water was added and soap was made." During the First World War, Grandma proved the story to be true. She decided to make soap, much to the disapproval of her children, and grand-children. We said, "You don't need to do it; you can afford to buy soap. You don't need to work that hard, and you are too old." I think Grandma's son-in-law felt the worst, because she carried on her project in his yard, where he had killed his pigs. She went there, stripped the intestines, washed them, placed them in a tub, then had them carried to her home. The next morning she proceded to make soap. She did use canned lye and water, instead of the lye water. She made soap in a blackened tub out in her yard, controlling the first so her brew wouldn't boil over. She tested it by putting a few drops in a saucer and tasting it with her tongue to see if the lye amount was right. She stirred it with an old broom handle. When at last it looked done, and it spun from the stick like honey (a sure sign), she pushed the fire away from the tub and left it to cool overnight. When she cut it out the next morning it didn't smell exactly like roses, but it was soap. I know Grandma enjoyed making it, and who knows, maybe her mind went back to the yesteryears when, as Grandma said, "In the lean days in Sanpete, when we killed a pig, we used everything but the squeal." Perhaps not enough pieces are stitched together to make a quilt, but sufficient for a cushion or even a foot stool of Crazy Patch, taken from the piece sack of memories. (Luella H. Rogers, born May 4, 1897) -59-
Format application/pdf
Identifier 068_Crazy Patch.jpg
Source Saga of the Sanpitch Vol. 7
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-19
Date Modified 2005-02-19
ID 325259
Reference URL