Contents

Crazy Patch

Update item information
Title Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 07
Subject Pioneers
Description Stories and poems about early Southern Utah Pioneers
Publisher Snow College
Date 1975
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Language eng
Rights Management Snow College
Holding Institution Snow College
ARK ark:/87278/s6154f64
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-26
Date Modified 2005-02-26
ID 325315
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6154f64

Page Metadata

Title Crazy Patch
Description called "the cut." The tracks crossed highway 89 by the Lafe Ludvigson farm, on around the hill, and angled toward the rim of the creek bottom where it passed between the Oly Black home and the Joseph Jensen home. Mucen Jensen of Sterling tells the story of the Jensen children lining up on the old pole fence, each with a bucket of water to throw on any sparks from the passing train, which was very close, endangering the fence or home. H. S. Kerr was the superintendent and general supervisor of the Morrison Mine. In 1896, the narrow gage railroad was changed to standard size. For a number of years the mine was a progressive enterprise. A boarding house and several houses were erected on a flat just east of the new mine stream. Walter K. Barton and his family operated the boarding house. Arlisha Funk Larson was the hired girl. Most of the miners were from Wales and boarded at the mine; however, several men from Sterling also worked there. The young people from Sterling also worked there. The young people from Sterling often went up and social-ized with those at the mine; and in turn they came down town for dances and socials. On one occasion two men from Sterling lost their lives in the mine. They had been blasting when one failed to shoot. The two men returned to the mine. Just then it blasted, killing both men. They were Charley Musig and Charley Thompson. In about 1907 the railroad to Morrison was discontinued, for the mine filled with water, making work impossible. The rails were torn up and sold to the DRGW RR and hauled to the train below town. The boarding house was sold to Jake Marx and moved to his property. The stream of water flows out of the mine daily, and the large vain of coal still remains in the mountain; thus ends the story of Morrison. On August 24, 1949, the passenger train was discontinued on the Sanpete Valley line. Traveling by train is still exciting to me, but much of trade and travel have given way to trucks, cars, buses yes,and the great speed of the jet airplane. All of these have brought many changes we are exper- iencing today. (Elmer W. Ludvigson, born December 28, 1880) CRAZY PATCH Luella H. Rogers Paradox, Colorado Senior Division Honorable Mention #1 Essay When our pioneer mothers came West, they had among a few cherished possessions their precious quilt patterns: to mention a few, Rose of Sharon, Log Cabin, Rail Fence, Eastern Star. When the larger pieces were cut accord-ing to the pattern, and nothing was wasted, they put together the small, -56-
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 065_Crazy Patch.jpg
Source Saga of the Sanpitch Vol. 7
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-19
Date Modified 2005-02-19
ID 325256
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6154f64/325256