Contents

Building the Manti Temple

Update item information
Title Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 16
Subject Pioneers
Description Stories and poems about early Southern Utah Pioneers
Publisher Snow College
Date 1984
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Language eng
Rights Management Snow College
Holding Institution Snow College
ARK ark:/87278/s6j67f3x
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-03-01
Date Modified 2005-03-01
ID 324751
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6j67f3x

Page Metadata

Title Building the Manti Temple
Description builders wrought with greatest care for the Gods see everywhere," as the poet said. On one occasion a mason setting a cracked stone tn the baekwall was told by the master to remove it. The workman replied that the defect would be on the inside and not visible. The master mason replied, "Three have already seen it. You, me and the Lord." In 1886 the builders of the Temple received a scare. Sheep and cattle owned by the church were being confiscated by the U.S. Government under the provisions of the Edmonds-Tucker Act. So might the Tenple also be taken. A twelve-man holding organization headed by J. B. Maiben, Luther Tuttle and Hans Jensen was set up. Title to the Tenple property was transferred to this organization on June 25, 1886." Christian Madsen supervised the making of tables and benches. The decorations in plaster of Paris were handled by Charlie Bird. Artists who painted the murals were John Hafen, John Fairbanks, William Weggeland and Ephraim's C. C. A. Christensen. The paintings in the world room were later redone by Minerva Teichert, those in the garden room by Hobert Shepherd. For the finishing and famishing of the Temple, President Wilford Woodruff (who had succeeded Taylor) called for small (25£ or more) churchwide contributions. Small sums came from many stakes inside and outside the territory, including Liverpool in Qigland, Germany, Switzerland, and the Sandwich Islands, and others. The total cost of finishing and furnishing the Temple was $991,991.81. Sanpete Stake gave $274,815.05. The dedication of a temple is as essential as is its masonry. A party of about 60 high churchmen and others left Salt Lake City by train to attend the dedication of the Manti Temple. From Chester, which was then the terminus of the railroad, they were taken by team and wagon to Nanti. The yards and streets of the town were full of the wagons of thousands of people. Due to a shortage of hay, horses had to be herded onto pastures. Private dedicatory servicea were held Hay 17, 1868, by a few high churchmen, with Wilford Woodruff offering the dedicatory prayer. Public services were held on Kay 21, 22, and 23 and were attended by those with tickets. Lorenzo Snow offered the dedicatory prayer at the first public service. Before the opening exercises on the 21stt A. C. Snythe -37-
Format image/jpeg
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-19
Date Modified 2005-02-19
ID 324685
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6j67f3x/324685