From Porker to Pork

Download item | Update item information
Title Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 13
Subject Pioneers
Description Stories and poems about early Southern Utah Pioneers
Publisher Snow College
Date 1981
Type Image
Format image/jpeg
Language eng
Rights Management Snow College
Holding Institution Snow College
ARK ark:/87278/s6xd0ztc
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-03-01
Date Modified 2005-03-01
ID 324356
Reference URL

Page Metadata

Title From Porker to Pork
Description one end of the equipment to each hind leg of the animal and began pulling on the free end Of the rope, I then understood what "mechanical advantage" meant. Re easily raised the carcass from the platform to a free-hanging position. I felt tiny as I stood beside the huge animal. It towered about two feet abo*e me and its head, nearly touched the ground. As the butcher took one of his sharp knives aai made an incision into the front of the pig, I ran into the house. When I returned, many things had happened. The insides had been removed and the butcher was washing the pig inside and out. T became Interested. ^ By removing the backbone, the carcass was divided into sections. J\ These included the two hind leg cuts that when cured would become .. hams, the two front legs to become what we called "shoulder meat", U and the two large side pieces which would become bacon. From each side of the carcass the ribs were separated, later to be enjoyed as spareribs. The pig's head was severed and lay ready for special use. All these parts were then placed on a large table in the granary where the work of processing and preserving would begin immediately. The first job was to trim the surplus and bumpy portions frcm the large sections. These pieces would be used for sausage. The fat was placed in a container to be "rendered" into lard. Even though it was November, it was necessary to begin at once to cure the six larger sections for winter uee. First the meat must be saturated with strong salt brine. The brine was made by heating a tub of water over an outside sagebrush fire. Several pounds of rock salt were added as the solution boiled vigorously. When a potato would float on the salty brine, the solution was ready. The wooden barrel (so important in our life) was thoroughly cleaned and brought to the cellar. The six pieces of - .. meat were packed into it. We used buckets to transfer the brine -- from the tub to the barrel. The meat was completely covered and must remain so for days until each piece was thoroughly saturated. Now to make the sausage. The meat scraps from the trimming process were put through a meat grinder. Mother let me turn the grinder while she inserted the meat, always careful that her fingers did not mingle with the scraps. The ground product was mixed with „ salt, pepper and sage, ready now for the stuffing process. The end ti of a cleaned intestinal casing about an inch in diameter was stretched " over a little hornlike fixture. The meat was pressed through the 1 I horn into the casing. As it began to fill, the meat was pressed » still more firmly into it. Yards of one-inch diameter tubes appeared. About every twelve inches, the long tube was twisted in such a way that links were formed. While the sausage was being made, the pig's head had been boiling in our large copper boiler on top of the kitchen stove* When it was thoroughly cooked, the head was removed. The meat was separated from the bone and put through the neat grinder. It was -55-
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 070_From Porker to Pork.jpg
Source Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 13
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-19
Date Modified 2005-02-19
ID 324276
Reference URL