Contents

Courthouses of Sanpete County

Update item information
Title Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 17
Subject Pioneers
Description Stories and poems about early Southern Utah Pioneers
Publisher Snow College
Date 1985
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Language eng
Rights Management Snow College
Holding Institution Snow College
ARK ark:/87278/s6348hhs
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-03-01
Date Modified 2005-03-01
ID 323344
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6348hhs

Page Metadata

Title Courthouses of Sanpete County
Description It seems that there is always need for expansion and the facilities in the small courthouse were becoming inadequate for the growing community. In 1894 there "was much agitation for the building of a new courthouse." The Ephraim Enterprise for January 27, 1894, printed the following: The county court at its s e s s i.on next lion day will again consider the advisability of building a new courthouse. It looks as if the future location of the courthouse would be at Ephraim.. This city is the natural location for the county seat. = ." A committee was appointed to investigate and draw plans for a new building, but the people decided they couldn't afford a new courthouse at that time. Instead, $2,000 was appropriated to remodel the old courthouse. A courtroom and Assessor's office were added to the second floor. With this new addition this old courthouse served its purpose well for 41 years. The Manti Messenger for March 8, 1935, reported that ground had been broken for the new County Courthouse which was to cost about $90,000. Since it was to be built on the same property as the old building, it would "necessitate the removal of the old school building and the county jail." The jail, constructed of red brick from the Red Point south of Manti, stood just east of the first courthouse and has a story of its own to tell. Some of the inmates housed there were the polygamists who suffered early persecution because of their beliefs. At one time Clinton Bouvang, who played the guitar and sang well, was requested to go into the jail and sing songs all night to the prisoners. Probably, because the jail was so well constructed and no doubt to allay costs of the new courthouse, the entire cell block was moved into the new building. Alburn Lyon, a custodian in the new courthouse, said it was his opinion that the cell block (all heavy metal) was lowered into the ground on to a cement base and the basement was built around it. After serving well for some fifty years, the original jail has now been converted into scrap iron. S
Format image/jpeg
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-23
Date Modified 2005-02-23
ID 323248
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6348hhs/323248