Contents

Courthouses of Sanpete County

Download item | Update item information
Title Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 17
Subject Pioneers
Description Stories and poems about early Southern Utah Pioneers
Publisher Snow College
Date 1985
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Language eng
Rights Management Snow College
Holding Institution Snow College
ARK ark:/87278/s6348hhs
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-03-01
Date Modified 2005-03-01
ID 323344
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6348hhs

Page Metadata

Title Courthouses of Sanpete County
Description Shortly after the jail was built, the County seat was moved to Moroni, June 6, 1864. George W. Bradley was appointed Probate Judge, By an act of the Legislature, the County seat was moved back to Manti January 16, 1865, and W. F. Maylett was appointed Probate Judge. During this time, the first building erected to serve as a courthouse was under construction at Manti. It was built of adobe, grooved and plastered on the inside of the 18 by 20 ft. room at a cost of $850. This one room served the County until 1873 when an additional room, built of stone, was added at a cost of $800. In 1878 another room was added and a porch built on the west side at a cost of $700. In 1885 the first vault for the safekeeping of records was constructed. It was built of rock with a cement floor and was 12 x 14 x 8 ft, The building stood where the present Manti Post Office now stands and extended north to cover part of the present lawn. In front of the courthouse was a railing with hitching posts where customers tied their horses while they transacted business at the courthouse, A familiar scene inside the building was the recorder, sitting on a tall wooden stool by a high wooden desk, copying by hand (with pen dipped in an ink well) the various instruments brought in for recording. He wore long, black sleeves, fastened at the wrist and upper arm with elastic, to protect his white shirt as he worked, A visor shaded his eyes from the glare of the hanging light bulb'. Prior to 1901 coal oil lamps were used for light. Other offices were similarly equipped. Deed records as early as 1855 are found in the Recorder's Office. One of particular interest is the deed from Chief Arropine (Siegnerouch) to Brigham Young deeding "the portion of land and country known as Sanpete County, together with all timber and materials on the same, valued at $155,000.00. . ." 1
Format image/jpeg
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-23
Date Modified 2005-02-23
ID 323247
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6348hhs/323247