My Dream House

Update item information
Title Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 30
Subject Pioneers
Description Stories and poems about early Southern Utah Pioneers
Publisher Snow College
Date 1998
Type Text
Format application/pdf
Language eng
Rights Management Snow College
Holding Institution Snow College
ARK ark:/87278/s6vh5m0s
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-03-01
Date Modified 2005-03-01
ID 326508
Reference URL

Page Metadata

Title My Dream House
Description We put new cabinets in the bathroom and found some attractive linoleum for the kitchen. Willis went to Scofield often because the Madsens had extensive holdings there, but it always meant a drinking binge, and I hated for him to go. So it was in early November 1934. Willis was away. The new linoleum was laid word came that he was sick and being cared for by friends at Soldiers' Summit in Carbon County. Mother Madsen and 1 went to pick him up. He was extremely ill but could walk from the car to the bedroom. Passing through the kitchen. Willis noted the new- linoleum. That was the last he ever saw of the house, His illness turned to pneumonia, and everything possible was done for him. The doctor from the CC Camp was called to help Dr. Rigby We had a registered nurse come from Salt Lake to care for him. He died on Thanksgiving Day. 29 November 1934. In my sorrow 1 forgot the house. I thought the end of the world had come...and truly it had for me. Mary Louise was expecting Santa Claus and alt the things Christmas brings to four-year-old girls, so I went through the motions. A friend came to the house as Santa for her. My widowed mother. Mary Louise and I spent a sad quiet Christmas The day after Christmas 1 couldn't stand the little tree any longer, so I took it out. Mary Louise was loo young to grieve and could find pleasure in her new doll and other toys. I had been teaching two days a week at $2.00/day. Just before Christmas the superintendent asked me to come back, they needed me Mother and Mother Madsen thought 1 should. I think that was the hardest thing 1 ever did (the faculty had given me a dozen red roses for Christmas, and I almost passed out) I went back to teaching, feeling slightly better each day. By spring things seemed more normal. I couldn't afford to sell the house, so once again I threw myself into making it a happy, comfortable home. Willis and 1 never had a chance to do much with the house, but while 1 lived there alone and knew I must stay. I had the walls in the living room, dining room and front bedroom painted and a small garage built. After I married Justus Seek in 1936 we began making changes. We removed the double sliding doors between the living and dining rooms and cut an archway 155
Format application/pdf
Identifier 165_My Dream House.jpg
Source Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 30
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-23
Date Modified 2005-02-23
ID 326457
Reference URL