Contents

A Forgotten Legacy

Update item information
Title Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 30
Subject Pioneers
Description Stories and poems about early Southern Utah Pioneers
Publisher Snow College
Date 1998
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Language eng
Rights Management Snow College
Holding Institution Snow College
ARK ark:/87278/s6vh5m0s
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-03-01
Date Modified 2005-03-01
ID 326508
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6vh5m0s

Page Metadata

Title A Forgotten Legacy
Description Barns were built to store alfalfa, wild hay and grain, as well as to shelter farm animals during the harsh winters and hot summers in Sanpete County. A barn, a good strong well-built barn, was as important to these early settlers as the home which housed the family. It was not uncommon, even until the 1940's. to see a house on the corner of each block and at the back and side of the home a corral full of farm animals, a barn, granary, and, of course, an outhouse. A fence separated each enterprise from the family on the other side of the block who had the same arrangement. When the Hailing barn was built is hard to ascertain. The first records in the Sanpete County Courthouse show the land was first deeded from Manti City to Peter Lund on January 8, 1872. Agnes M. Stocks bought it from Mr. Lund April 24, 1879, and it was purchased from her by John B. Ruesch, June 24, 1880. John was born in Switzerland and was a convert to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. He emigrated to Manti, Sanpete County, sometime before 1880. He married Verena Buehler, also a convert to the Church from Switzerland, in 1883. His family and his daughter's family, Bertha H. and Edward S. Carlson, were the owners of this corner lot until it was sold to the Dean Mailings in 1982. This lot belonged to the Ruesch and Carlson family for over 100 years. An early appraisal of the lot shows the barn to be 34' x 34'. but it is evident an addition was added on the west side where stalls were built so cows could be fed and milked. The foundation of the bam was built of river rock and is approximately seven feet high at the main opening on the south side, but graduates to approximately ten feet high on the north side. This was necessary because of the terrain of the land to have the top edge square on which to lay the planks for the upper part. Some of the rocks which make up the foundation are as big as two 6*
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 078_A Forgotten Legacy.jpg
Source Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 30
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-23
Date Modified 2005-02-23
ID 326357
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6vh5m0s/326357