Contents

Ephraim's Four Forts

Update item information
Title Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 30
Subject Pioneers
Description Stories and poems about early Southern Utah Pioneers
Publisher Snow College
Date 1998
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Language eng
Rights Management Snow College
Holding Institution Snow College
ARK ark:/87278/s6vh5m0s
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-03-01
Date Modified 2005-03-01
ID 326508
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6vh5m0s

Page Metadata

Title Ephraim's Four Forts
Description on the canyon road." Pioneer records relate that a wool rag, burning in a pan of oil. supplied light for the night workmen. James Farmer wrote of his building assignment "I have 33 feet, seven feet high to build on the Big Fort." Soren Peter Jensen wrote, "Ephraim was then a fort in which we all lived The Little Fort was where the Bishop's bam is. The Big Fort started at J. N. Hansen's corner, went one and one-half blocks north, west to Main Street, south one and one-half blocks, and east to J.N. Ilansen's Corner."6 A photograph inscription states, "Early home of James P Hansen, Sr. Built on southeast corner of Fort Ephraim, present site of J. N. Hansen home." This home (93 East Center Street), identified, by more than one source, as the southeast corner of the "Big Fort" was leveled in August 1994, and a grassy plot now designates the former home site.7 Peter Franklin Madsen wrote, "In 1854 a fort, called Little Fort, was built on one and one-half acres of ground and located approximately three-fourths of a block north of Center Street and 100 feet east of Main Street ...In 1855, close to the arrival of many immigrants, who came to Ephraim, the large fort, covering 17-1/2 acres, was built at a cost of $12,000, (twelve thousand dollars). This fort included all the block east of Main Street and north to First North.'" Helen Young, an early teacher, compiled a map of the "Big" and "Little" forts. Wall boundaries and building locations are included. The map depicts a square fort, but the labeled streets and pioneer journals establish that the fort was rectangular. Nevertheless, Helen Young's map is a treasured Ephraim historical record.9 S7
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 067_Ephraim's Four Forts.jpg
Source Saga of the Sanpitch Vol 30
Setname snowc_sts
Date Created 2005-02-23
Date Modified 2005-02-23
ID 326415
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6vh5m0s/326415